Low maintenance, is it possible?

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Matt, 29 Dec 2011.

1. Matt

Matt MASA Contributor

Been a year and a half and I want to get back into the hobby. I'm not interested in a high maintenance system - work 6 days a week and also don't want it tying me down if I want to take holidays...

I would literally like a small nano with simple liverock filtration and keep a pair of clowns and maybe softies/LPS.

Any advice? Would a simple JBJ nano cube suffice?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. crispin

crispin

matt if you want low maintenance as possible the best thing you can do is give the tank TIME. we hear it all the time in the hobby that pacience is hard to learn but very few actually give tanks enough time to mature before they load it, and then a system almost always battles to catch up.

a small nano with a decent amount of LR, a good skimmer (search the sponsors as skimmer quality has realy increased in SA since you stopped) a good substrate and a long cycle is almost all you need. Then add a RO chamber remotley with ATU, and possibly run carbon and phosphate remover in the back chamber.

then feed your fish daily and learn to live with slightly less spotless glass than you are used to.

I have a 30l tank, packed with LR and has a good tunze skimmer in it and all i do is a bi weekly water change and feed fish, clean glass when i do water change. easy as. BUT its a three year old system, which was cycled 7 months and then only added fish after i had a huge pod pop (great algae eaters hey bob:)).....give the tank time and its easy (er)

4. crispin

crispin

btw, welcome back, its great to know you are looking at getting into tanks again, get mike to start again too :)

5. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

Or find your self a good tank maint company like Idol Marine :D

6. crispin

crispin

lol for a 60l nano?? :) and if i recall corectly matt needs no additional help when it comes to keeping small tanks pristine....i think its only michael B thats more dilligent than matt in that regard

7. Matt

Matt Thread Starter MASA Contributor

Haha thanks crispin! Will definitely cycle
    It properly and go for premium grade live rock!

Need something neat and compact as have to get aesthetic approval from the boss
    :tt2:

8. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

Hey got to see u want to get back
    Wild on pets has cool jbj 28g nanos on special, they a sponsor, give them a call
    Very well designed and great skimmers built in

9. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

Yea! Its no maint reefing ;) The only maint I do on my tanks is topping up with RO and thats cause i'm to lazy to find the auto topup unit :thumbup:

10. 2balive

2balive

@Matt, got my 130l nano now down to 18l waterchange a week (moving to 27l every two weeks in the next month or two), and one chemical filtration media swap-out every six months. Also clean pumps and chiller twice a year.

My tank is well "sealed" so virtually now RO topup is needed (a few ml per week) and got to empty my skimmer cup once every two or three days. Prune cheato every two weeks or so, do calcium, alkalinity and magnesium maintenance doses once a week.

Think this is about as low maintenance as it can get?

The biggest slep is cleaning the glass from algae, think we should start an X-Price for a micro, reef-tank save, creepy crawly.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  11. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

@Matt

you can get a system to be low maintenance if you are diligent with the little things.. and through the correct planning of the system initially. eg: large aty chamber etc

but that being said the best systems are those that have a fair amount of time put into them into the begining to get them low maintenance i the longrun.. some (depending on copmlication leves) will always need constant maintenance..

so it lays with you on what you want to achieve..

IMO the simplier the system layout and the easier acessibility the more you want to work on the system and the less of a chore it will be..

less of a chore = more willingness to want to work on the system.. the better sucess you have :)

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  12. mandarinman

mandarinman

The smaller the tank the more alert you haveto be to changes. You can run a small tank on top ups and a twenty percent waterchange weekly with a reefsalt mix. the larger the weekly waterchange the less other maintenance. Automatic topup and one waterchange a week. run a magnet over glass when you walk past. easy peezy.

13. seank

seank

My idea of low maintenance is.... No Maintenance.... soooo, here is what I did... I added a huge amount of extra water and live rock, sand etc (Basically added a Jo Jo tank outside and filled it with a deep sand bed and lots of rock), raised my filter tank glass to accommodate an extra 150lt, added a lot of herbivores- to keep the glass and rocks algae free-, I added a lot of clean up crew eg, hermits, snails, gobies, blennies,Tangs,Sea Hares,Sea Urchins, sea stars, etc.

Go crazy in your filter tank/refugium... have more than enough Chaeto, Cuelerpa(spelling),and other nutrient export plants inside.... Just one thing, this takes time as it will not work/grow if there is nothing to export :)

Balance wrt clean up crews, herbivores etc in a system is crucial. ;)

So, have them Sea Hares, Hermits, Snails, Sea Urchins, sea stars, gobies, blennies, tangs (Convicts are a good choise) in your system. Worth every cent. Then you only need to worry about top-ups and water parameters.
    Interesting fact. My tank is running for a year and almost 02 months, only did 01 water chance and that was in the beginning of December.

Know the feeling :lol:

14. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

If you want low maintenance then it comes at an initial setup cost. Get a dosing pump to handle all your dosing, ATU for top ups that would last say 5 days or more and is easy refillable. And get some battery backup for the system when you are not at home. I went futher and got a separate GSM unit to notify me of power failures so that I can get the house sitter to check it out while i'm on holiday. I;'ve even programmed the sitters number into the GSM unit in case I dont get signal while on holiday. Battery backup is enough to last the night as that is when the power mostly does out. And I dont think your house sitter will be impressed to go to your house at 1am in the morning when the storm knocked out the power.

I just went on a 12 day break and all the sitter had to do was feed the fish once a day and top up the RO reservoir once.

I spend one evening a week just to test parameters and refill the dosing containers. But once your parameters and solutions become stable you can fill the doser containers with enough solution to last a month.

Recent Posts