low kh

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by BrandonLotz, 18 Mar 2015.

1. BrandonLotz

BrandonLotz

Hi there
    I use red sea test kits and it says that kh is 6 or 2,1. how will this affect my tank.
    ammonia - don't know as its yellow and there is no colour on the chart
    nitrate - 2-5
    nitrite - 0
    po4 - 0.03

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

What corals do you have?
    Do you do water changes?
    Do you dose?
    What size tank do you have?

If your KHZ is low it is being used up by your corals. A KH of 6.2 isn't a train smash. Just dose/do regular water changes to get it up again.

4. BrandonLotz

BrandonLotz Thread Starter

I have a rough 50cm cube. I have a host of softies, I do a 25 litre water change a week with coral pro. Im sure ill need something to swing it back

5. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

Coral pro has an Alk of 12.4 IIRC, your Alk is being consumed faster than you replenish with WC , maybe get an Alk suppliment but don't raise more than 1kdh per 24hrs

TaahirS likes this.
  6. jimilutz

jimilutz

The simplest, least scientific way is to add a little bicarbonate of soda to your top up water. Aim for just over 7 dkH

7. 4age

4age

I had issues with my red sea kh test kit and stopped using it..it just not reliable. tried the salifert kh kit which is much better.

only reason I suspect your test kit is wack is coz you doing weekly waterchanges with rscp salt which has a high kh. also softies do not consume kh as quickly as lps and sps and a 20% weekly wc should be sufficient to keep it at atleast 7 to 8 dkh

8. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

It could be a faulty reagent , ask your lfs to double check your results.
    But all phosphate binders eg Phossguard ect ( all of them ) also bind carbonates so they will bring down the Alk as well , especially after you put a new batch in.

obviously organic waist will drop alk as well , so you can use Purigen which will inadvertently help keep alk and P.H stable.
    D

9. BrandonLotz

BrandonLotz Thread Starter

Thanks for the input, it really weird because for years my KH has been spot on. I will add the bicarb but I use my own ro water, is there any correct way to add the bicarb.

10. jimilutz

jimilutz

You should start off slowly, nobody likes an alk spike. Put about 5 tsp into a bucket and swirl it around until it has dissolved. Measure your alk frequently and figure out the amount your tank is consuming. If the alk gets above 10, start adding less bicarbonate to the water.
    I add 100g to 5l water and use a doser to add alk, but then add none to my RO top up water. In winter my top ups increase (probably the dry air) so the method of adding to your topup water is not fabulously reliable but it is easy.

Recent Posts