"Louis' 400 liter reef"

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks' started by Louis Scheepers, 18 Jul 2011.

1. Louis Scheepers

Louis Scheepers

I was recently diagnosed with a serious disease, I think most of you have it... I have had signs' of this reefing-bug in me, since I saw a marine tank for the very first time when I was still in Primary school!

Background: I had a 1.2m setup that I took over from my brother in law, and I had a lot of problems with it! I then started to buy equipment for a new 1.5m setup that I was planning. At the beginning of the year I moved, and after careful consideration, I decided to stop the hobby. :( I was to busy with work, and the hobby became to expensive. Even though I decided to stop the hobby, the disease kept spreading, so now I am back, and planning a new system!

Bigger is not always better! :whistling: I decided to rather go smaller, and have an awesome tank, than to go bigger and never have any money, while still having an empty tank...

This is what I'm planning:

DT: 600 (l) x 600 (b) x 550 (h).
    Sump: 800 (l) x 450 (w) x 350 (h) (Total system volume will be around 300 liters).
    Auto Top-up: 800 (l) x 150 (w) x 400 (h)

Filtration: Reef Octopus NW-150 skimmer (rated for 650l)
    DSB with macro algae (400x450) I'm trying to get the DSB as big as possible! It is not 75%, but at least 50%...

In tank flow: 1x Vortech MP40 (wanted to go with the MP10, but I'm afraid that it might be a little small...)
    Circulation: Tunze Silence 3000l/h return pump.

Lighting: 1x 150w Metal Halide (14k) and 2x 24w T5's.

I will probably build the DT myself, and I am already busy with the sump. I want to build the tank in 10mm rimless, with a slimline CTC overflow, but I'm not sure what to do with the return lines... I would prefer it if the pipes enter the tank from the bottom (no pipes at the back), but how do you create a siphon break?

It will be a mixed reef, with zoa's at the bottom, LPS middle, and SPS at the top.

PS. I got a new Waterboy RO Unit! :thumbup: It is the 5 stage drinking water unit, with a few modifications... Prefilters, with a Filmtec RO membrane and then it splits to two outlets: The first goes through the taste filter and the storage tank for drinking water. The second line goes through a resin filter for the marines!

I know you want pics, but there are no pics yet... only plans in my head!

Last edited by a moderator: 14 Aug 2011
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

welcome back.

Well, its not too small, it is still a nice size tank.

Do you have a tank and stand? Or is it all in the planning phase?

4. Tremayn

Tremayn

you will have to turn the mp40 way down! Vortechs are more powerful than you think (so I have heard and seen lol) .. You could get away with a mp10 and maybe a seio to supplement

5. Louis Scheepers

Louis Scheepers Thread Starter

Hi Riaan.

I also think it's a good size tank, I have seen some amazing photo's of the same size tanks! I want to go for a minimalistic type of scaping!!

I don't have the tank and stand yet... Still planning. I have a lot of glass and an old aquarium that I'm going to use for the sump.

I'm picking up my skimmer tomorrow! I would have also picked up a light unit from Flamming Angel, but he canceled.

What do you think of that size dsb? 50% should work good?!

Any ideas on the return? I wanted to do the slimline overflow with the pipes going in and out of the bottom. My problem with the return is that I don't want to use the "canopy" method, I have read that they don't give good flow?! I wanted to drill two holes to get more of a force through. The top of the hole will have to be almost inline with the overflow right? SO if the power goes out, it will continue to siphon back, till the water level is at the bottom of the hole...

Any suggestions?

6. Louis Scheepers

I have done a lot of reading on nano-reef.com and guys with the same size tanks are using 2 MP10's. I don't want to use a big pump in a tank this size, so I would rather buy the bigger MP40, than having to add something bulky later on to help the MP10...

I want to position it right in the middle of the back wall, the spread should be perfect!

Maybe more people using Vortech can comment...

7. crispin

crispin

sounds like a well planned out system:) 60x60 is a lovely size too if you work within the size with regards to stocking. sounds like u are well on your way :)

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

MP40 turn down is OK, At least the pump is hardly working.

The return flow cannot be seen as part of you system flow. Normally not strong enough to be considered as part of the turnover.

I like a slimline overflow, but not one going down all the way to the bottom. It should exit at the back. And then the same for inlet, a smaller "outlet" box with a lid. The inlet and outlet box lip should be exactly the same height. Then if power goes out, then the water will only drop to outlet height, being the same as the inlet height.

Somewhere I got a design picture.

Louis Scheepers likes this.
  9. Louis Scheepers

I have never stopped planning, even though I was out of the hobby for a while. This system has been brewing in my head for quite some time now!!

I dont plan a heavily stocked tank, so it should be perfect! I will miss my Regal and Yellow Tang, but there are plenty of other fish in the sea! ;)

10. Louis Scheepers

I saw your picture!! With all the different overflow designs?

So you think that the outlet box with the lid, should be fine? I guess you don't really need a lot of force through it... it should just return the water to the tank... Should I make two small ones either sides of the overflow, or only one? And what length should one return be? I have the Tunze 3000l/h return pump.

Is there a particular reason why you don't like the overflow going all the way to the bottom? I wanted the pipes to exit at the bottom, because then I can put the tank against the wall!

11. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

think about a long drop....
    Going down to the bottom and you need ball / gate valves to keep the water inside the overflow box as high as possible. To prevent the noise.

And valves can get blocked. I had a blue green chromis going on holiday down the overflow that blocked the valve. He survives. After I almost flooded the display.

Else if at the bottom, you need 2 holes and 2 valves. But how do you notice one valve is blocked? So overflow box must be divided into 2.

Another method is to use a emergency loop before the valve. I changed mine like that, and no, its not perfect. Ball valves are not that easy to set. When in Centurion again, come around I show you. I lot has changed since the last time you and your wife been there.

12. Louis Scheepers

Thanks for the invite! We will be in Centurion today to pick up my skimmer, but it will probably before 13:00, and you are probably working right?

13. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

yip, in Sandton

14. Louis Scheepers

Can the mods advice...

Can I change the name of my thread or should I start a new one, because with my new LED's on their way, and since the stand is finished (and it is so much bigger than the tank) I decided to make the tank a little bigger, it wont be a cube any more...

Will post updates and pics as soon as I receive my LED's!

15. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

a name change is not a problem.. let me know what you want it changed to and i will do it for you :)

16. Louis Scheepers

Can you change it to "Louis' 400 liter reef".

Thanks Les!!

17. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

done ;)

Louis Scheepers likes this.
  18. Louis Scheepers

It is about time for me to start putting pictures on this thread!!

My frame for the tank is almost finished! Pictures will follow later...

Today I will show you my Waterboy RO unit, as well as my 2x new 60w CREE LED light units!

Photobucket is giving me so much trouble tonight!! It doesn't want to work... but I will keep trying!!

Ok... here we go!

My Waterboy RO unit. It has a Filmtech membrane and splits into two outlets: 1 through the taste filter for drinking water, and the other through my DI for the marines!
    [​IMG]

Now for the 60w CREE LED light units!

The box:
    [​IMG]

The packaging was done very good:
    [​IMG]

The LED side of the light. It has 3w LED's (50/50 white and blue) with 80degree optics:
    [​IMG]

The back of the unit with a nice big heat sink and fan that comes on automatically when the unit gets hot:
    [​IMG]

The dimmer for the blue and white LED's:
    [​IMG]

A comparison between 60w LED's and 78w T5's (2x 39w):
    [​IMG]

The units look very good and I cant fault the built quality. I have the one unit over my QT while I'm still busy building the DT.

19. Louis Scheepers

My frame is finished, I will sort out the cabinet and wiring for all the plugs, during September! I will probably also build my sump.

The frame was built in 50x50x5 angle iron, here are two pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The stand is 90(l)x80(w)x80(h).

The sides will be "invisible" doors, so that I wont have a problem to access the stuff at the back. The wood at the top of the frame is where the multi plugs will go.

The sump will be 85(l)x60(w)x(37h). Normal 3 division sump. Skimmer, then DSB (45x60) and then the return chamber. A RO tank of 60x15x40 will be sitting behind the sump, and my Phosphate reactor will also find a place there. The little shelve will be used for the dosing pump, food, etc.

Last edited: 24 Aug 2011
  20. Renannchen

Renannchen

Where did you buy the LED lights?

21. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

very cool setup and planning
    i hope you achieve your vision and goals :)

happy reefing!

Recent Posts