Louis' 1.5m Mixed Reef

Discussion in 'Large Tanks' started by Louis Scheepers, 8 Oct 2010.

1. Louis Scheepers

Louis Scheepers

After learning alot about reefkeeping with my old 120(l)x45(w)x65(h) hand-me-down aquarium, the time has arrived to use all my new found knowledge on a new aquarium!! :thumbup:

The new tank will be a mixed reef, but SPS dominated.

The new aquarium will be 150(l)x75(w)x65(h). DT should be around 600 liters.
    The sump will be 120(l)x65(w)x45(h). Sump should be around 200 liters.

Circulation in the DT will be provided by my 2 new Tunze 6205 streams, controlled by a 7095 multicontroller (thanks flappy). This will give me a turnover rate of 20-70 times per hour.

Skimmer: I bought a Reef Octopus Bubble Blaster 3000 last year, with this tank in mind.

The sump will have 3 compartments: skimmer, dsb, return.

Lighting will consist of a 10x 54w T5 DIY unit.

Here is a sketch of the tank:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More info and questions to follow....

Last edited: 9 Oct 2010
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tremayn

Tremayn

two overflow boxes mounted externally?

4. Louis Scheepers

Louis Scheepers Thread Starter

Yip. Thought about CTC, but it makes the tank more expensive. Thought about one, but it didn't want to balance...

The 1.5's back will be divided as follow:

-----30cm-----30cm-----30cm-----30cm-----30cm----

Tunze pump - Overflow - Return - Overflow - Tunze pump

It balances out nicely :yeahdude:. My return will be in the middle with a Y adaptor.

5. Louis Scheepers

Some of my favourite tanks that inspired me:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Louis Scheepers

Here are the plans for the display tank. I will build it in black silicone. Please comment on everything!!!

Bottom Pane:
    The sides will not rest on the bottom, but the bottom will be on the inside of the side-walls (German style). I do believe that this is a stronger option! I thought about using two 10mm panes as bottom. Is this overkill? According to the calculator 15,5mm is needed. So should I rather use a 10mm and a 6mm?

I took the length and width of the tank minus 12mm on all the sides for the walls, and minus 0,5mm on all four sides for the silicone. Is 0,5mm enough for silicone on each side?

I don't think euro style bracing is needed at the bottom, since the walls are on the ouside of the bottom?!

[​IMG]

Front Pane:
    Plain and simple...

[​IMG]

Back Pane:
    The back will have two external overflows. It will be covered in black perspex to hide the overflow. Can Rene Turk cut those comb like overflows, or should I rather have a plain cut-out and then cut the perspex like a comb?

I think this will provide good surface skimming!

The cut-out's are 3cm below the top. A 12mm bracing will be on the inside of the top, and with the bottom being 20mm, it means that the water level will be 1,8cm below the top bracing. Is this too much or not enough? I need your help!

The two Tunze's will sit on the outside of each overflow. The return will be in the middle, with a Y adaptor.

[​IMG]

Side Panes:
    Plain and simple. Took the width, minus 24mm for the front and back pane, minus 1mm (0,5mm each side) for silicone.

[​IMG]

Overflows:
    You should help me with this one... I don't know how big these boxes should be so I thought about making them 300(l)x150(w)x300(h). I want to make it durso style to keep them silent. Please comment!

Overflow Back:
    Plain and simple...

[​IMG]

Overflow Bottom:
    I thought about using 50mm down-pipes. Is this to much, should I rather use 32mm?
    I thought about making in 100mm wide, but I dont know if this will be to small?

[​IMG]

Overflow sides:
    Plain and simple... Just the width and hight I need comments on!

[​IMG]

Euro Bracing:
    I thought about using 12mm Euro bracing at the top. Is 60mm wide enough? The front and back bracing will run straight through, but the side bracing will fit in between the two. Since it will be an open-top tank, I don't want to create a step with the side bracing overlapping the front and back bracing.

Front Bracing:
    Plain and simple...

[​IMG]

Back Bracing:
    I want three holes in the back bracing. The middle one for my return line and the two side ones for the tunze's wires to go through.

Questions: What diameter should the return line be, 32mm (It will be split with a Y adaptor)? What size return pump should I use then? Will a 34mm hole then be sufficient?

My Tunze's are arriving next week, if their plugs are those small ones I guess I can make the holes at the sides smaller!

[​IMG]

Side Bracing:
    Short enough to fit in between the other two.

[​IMG]

Please comment guys!!!!

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

8. Louis Scheepers

I thought about CtC overflow, but only if it was the whole back (and that makes the tank a lot more expensive). Even with the slimline internal like yours, you still have an overflow inside the tank. I dont like the look. The only internal equiptment will be the Tunze's, since I'm not a fan of CLS.

I posted three pictures of tanks that inspired me earlier, the first one is built exactly like I'm planning mine, except that it is 1,8m long. My whole design is based on that tank. Here is a picture of the top of that tank to show the overflows:

[​IMG]

Last edited: 10 Oct 2010
  9. Smithers

Smithers

I like the way those overflow boxes are done. Looks damn neat.

10. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

lovley setup awsome size (practical yet spacious) nothing wrong with dual overflows, was actually tinkering with simular ideas inspired by the same builds pictured.. i see we share simular tastes..

as for double base it wont be necessary if braced properly. going to build it float base style(bottom fits inbetween all vertical panes) not entirley necessary but it will be interesting..

i have built a few of these sized tanks out of 10mm before and all are still standing
    taking into consideration the new "wave" generated by the tunzes if set to do so, just make sure all your seams are given a healthy dose of glue :)

Louis Scheepers likes this.
  11. Louis Scheepers

Thanks for looking at the plans Leslie. What do you think about the overflow box size. 30x30x15. Can I make the width 10cm or will it be to narrow to get all the fittings in?

If I go for a single base, what thickness glass should I use? What I like about the floating base is not only that it is supposedly stronger, but that the tank then has a black frame all around the front. Looks very pretty!

I don't want to use cross bracing, so I was afraid that the 10mm might be a bit weak if I only use Euro bracing. Btw is 60mm wide enough for the euro bracing?

Last question: Will 2cm be enough space between water level and euro bracing?

12. ivansa

ivansa

Hey Louis

Love your idea of the external overflow and will be following you thread closely.
    I'm planning a simular size tank but with an external overflow in the middle.

Could you please post links to the picture's of the tanks that you posted, if possible.

13. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Overflow you will hardly notice, check Manic pictures. Got 2 t-pieces and downpipes in 50mm.

In yours you can have a standard durso fitted. Durso needs to be slightly lower than tank water level, else the overflow will create that waterfall sound.

But I do not like it. Everybody is entitled to their own opinions. My reason is that boxes will have settlement in it. And it needs to be cleaned. And at the back of a 750mm wide tank. It will not be that accessable. Depending on what will be next to the tank in its final resting place.

And I think it is a little bit late to ask for opinions on your design, if the tank is already completly build? Unless you completed it yesterday.

Another question / remark, your tank is 750 wide, plus another 150 for the overflow box. That will not fit through a standard door opening. Sliding doors, opening wide enough, I hope you got that. And whenever you one day do move, keep that in mind.

You ask for opinions, well thats mine... Shoot me if you want to.

14. Louis Scheepers

The tank in the picture is not mine, it is of another tank, will post the link in a while. I am still planning, I want to make sure about everything before I order the glass.

The remark about the width is very true. I actually stuck to 750 wide instead of 800 so that it could fit through a door, and only realised later that the boxes might be a problem. I thought that I will just take the tank through the door on the side, then it is only 650 that has to fit through. We will be moving end of this year, hopefully the new house will have huge doors :thumbup:.

Thanks for the opinions, I appreciate all the comments I get. Some you take, some you don't, but you always learn!!

15. Louis Scheepers

16. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

i leave 3 cm from bottom of brace to the bottom of the cutout. if you are a tunze fan and want to create waves in your system you may want to have a little more clearance so that the wave doesnt touch the bracing. just a thought, i will experiment with this when i get my Tunze's:thumbup:

17. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

ok, just though you had a very productive Saturday...

Keep in mind that the weakpoint on this pane is the corners of the cutout.

Neil H donea nice thread on different overflow designs
    Types of Overflows, an Illustrated Guide - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

If it was my tank, and I had to do the external box, I would rather have the back pane completely lower by 20mm, or whatever, and have a full side to side external box.

18. Louis Scheepers

Thanks Riaan, will have a look at the link.
    I also thought about lowering the whole back pane, but the problem is the bracing... then you can't brace it, unless the overflow box will act as a brace?!

19. Louis Scheepers

I received my Tunze's today (2x 6205's with 7095 controller) and tested it in my old 1,2m. They are awesome!!! When they are on full power (22 000 l/h) there is some vibration noise, but otherwise they are silent!

Cant wait to test these pumps on my new tank!

20. Tremayn

Tremayn

tank looks great!

21. Louis Scheepers

Do you mean the plans or the pictures of the tanks? The pictures is not of my tank... mine is still in the planning stage. Will hopefully one-day look like one of those three.

Recent Posts