loud overflow

Discussion in 'Anything DIY Related' started by Criggy, 31 May 2014.

1. Criggy

Criggy

Hi Guys-

My overflow is really loud and has a constant gargling noise.
    I have researched methods on how to make it silent but cannot find anything that suits my setup.
    I have a corner box overflow and a single hole driled with a pvc pipe that runs into the sump.
    I have considered putting a choke on this pipe but im worried about flooding without a backup drainage system in place- which as far as i understand requires another hole drilled but theres no space. Any advice would be really appreciated

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. DeanT

DeanT Dean

Have you tried using a durso standpipe ?

4. Kebab131

Kebab131

Tagging

5. Istio

Istio

Do you have a standpipe in the overflow box or is it just a hole at the bottom? If you have a standpipe maybe try a maggi muffler. I know AquariumDepot used to bring them and most marine dealers should therefore be able to get you one.

Maggie Muffler - Most innovative Aquarium Silencer Ever Made

6. jclaas

jclaas

Are you able to instal a 40mm standpipe above this hole in the overflow box?

7. jclaas

jclaas

You can sit with these pictures and make a DIY based on the pictures

Last edited: 1 Jun 2014
  8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

9. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

I've been using a 50mm ball valve from Mica on the pipe just about the water level in the sump. I know this is not the best method considering that IG something locks the ball valve the tank will overflow but it has worked for me in the last six months without any issues.. just add an overflow comb to prevent small crabs and fish etc going over. every few week I open the ball valve completely just to flush any buildup if there is any and then close it back to the position where it makes less noise

10. jclaas

jclaas

let us assume the ball valve clogs and no effluent water comes from the DT. your return pump will be pushing sump water to your DT (DT might overflow or it might not, that depends on sump volume). This will only happen up until the point that your sump runs dry and burns your pump out. after the pump burns out you will have effluent water coming from the DT, filling your sump again (depending on where your return lines are inside your DT). not too bad because you at least wont have your whole Dt water on the lounge floor :)

Last edited: 1 Jun 2014
  11. jclaas

jclaas

and you will probably burn out heaters and some reactors

12. Criggy

Criggy Thread Starter

Im sure I can work out a way to install a standpipe of some sort. At the moment im using a grate over the hole into the sump and a prefilter that slows down the flow to prevent air coming through - this works to a degree but makes a racket every time I clean the filters and taked a long time to block the hole enough the create a good syphon.
    Yesterday one of my clowns landed up in the overflow - and of course theres no standpipe and therefore minimal water in the overflow -luckily I got to him on time. he was not a happy chap when back in the tank though. I like the idea of a standpipe as I understand there will be water permanently in the overflow box and if anything does work its way in there it will survive. My goby is also famous at stage jumping into the overflow.

My only reason for not putting a choke on the piping into the sump from the overflow is incase something does get stuck I will be dealing with a 40L flood from the last compartment in my sump where the pump sits. Thanks for the ideas guys. I will look through them now :)

13. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Just do not glue the standpipe in place.

There will be settlement over time at the bottom of the overflow box. You need to pull the pipe out and flush the box clean. (maybe once a month - depending)

14. puffer fish

puffer fish

wish i had done that , mine is glued huge mission to get it clean

15. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

For how a Durso standpipe works

Aquarium-Related Articles

Soil vent valve opening is basically the same as the downward facing elbow. Vent valve just takes up less space than the T-piece and elbow.

Recent Posts