Lots of bubbles

Discussion in 'Boyu TL450 and TL550 advice' started by Mc, 26 Aug 2011.

1. Mc

Mc

Hi All.

My TL550 seems to have lots of bubbles floating aroun and I can't seem to figure out where the are coming from. I think it might be the skimmer.
    Is this normal?
    Are there any adjusments I can make to sop this?
    What level should the water be at?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Evo R

Evo R

Its your water level in the return chamber that is too low. Low in the sense that the water that is "overflowing fronm the previos chamber is making a waterfall effect in your return chamber, and when your water level in the return is too low... it sucks the bubbles in the the pump and pump it back into your DT.

You can solve this by just adding more salt water to your tank and look in the back, until the bubbles go away or till it has risen say 5 cm or so above the current water level in your return chamber. To better illastrate, just pore the water directly into the last chamber while your pumps are on, then you will see a huge increase in bubbles for say a minute or so and then it will all go away.

4. Mc

Mc Thread Starter

I don't think thats the problem I was thinking maybe the level is a bit high its about 1cm from the top in the return chamber. The water between the second and third chambers is above the plastic devider.

5. Evo R

Evo R

LOL you didnt mention that. Then i can only think off the water level being to high, thus pushing your skimmer's water level too high thus forcing bubbles into your return chamber thus entering your DT.

Mc likes this.
  6. Mc

Mc Thread Starter

Thanks that sound more likely.
    Will try take some water out and see if it helps.

7. Evo R

Evo R

Cool. Just remember to lower your skimmer level and re-adjust after you have removed some water. Let us know if this helped.

8. Mc

Mc Thread Starter

I think the skimmer is in the right position it also flowing over a bit.
    Maybe lowering the water level will also help with that.

9. Evo R

Evo R

See two birds in one go.

10. Mc

Mc Thread Starter

We will have to see will let you know what happens.:)

11. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

I think its your skimmer. Try closing the black valve a little more. Also,in which chamber is your skimmer. Try put it in chamber two with filter floss in chamber 3,that way you remove the bubbles and all the crap before it reaches the return pump. Ive also got filter floss in the first chamber to catch most of the gunk from the tank. Try this and youll have no more bubbles. Just remember to rinse filter floss regularly.

Last edited: 26 Aug 2011
  12. Mc

Mc Thread Starter

Thanks Charl
    My skimmer is in chamber 2, how do you get the filter floss to stay in place in chamber 3. Will try close that valve a bit it is open full at the moment what is your water level like.

13. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

my water level I always keep like 2-3 cm under full in chamber 3. Ive got my phosguard and purigen under my filter floss so that keeps it in place. I guess if you dont have anything to keep the filter floss in place it would get sucked in by the return pump. Have you got any media running in your system

Mc likes this.
  14. Mc

Mc Thread Starter

I haven't got any yet but will be adding chemi-pure elite shortly.
    also want to put cheato in this chamber, I suppose the filter floss will stop the stuff that builds up in the cheato from from going into the main tank aswell.

15. Mc

Mc Thread Starter

I tried lowering the water level and it didn't seem to change much, and I dont like the level below the black rim in the display tank. Closing the output tap on the skimmer did help a little bit, but I think the filter floss is probably going to be the best option, will add it when I put the chemi-pure in.

Last edited: 26 Aug 2011
Recent Posts