lost in refugiums

Discussion in 'New Members' started by gofish727, 29 Dec 2012.

1. gofish727

gofish727

hello all!!!! Im really enjoying M.A.S.A. Ive spent a few days crusing through, trying to find my way around, and have already learned an awful lot, ( I think). Im trying to decide if I want to try a refuge on my 150 gal reef,im in the midle of setting up. Some forums make it sound resonably simple, while others make it a monster. Can I set a 55 gal. tank next to my DT with a 1 1/2 gravity return from a bulkhead near the top of the 55 returning to the main sump, of the DT and then put a T and a ball valve from the main pump to return 600 gph to feed the refuge . It sounds simple, what am I missing?Thanks in advance for any help I can get. By the way, im filtering the systum with 2 sumps, 1 bio/balls, the other asock sump. I have about150 lbs of live rock and plan on changing all sump midia to live rock. MH double 400 watt 2o,ooo and doble 96 watt compacts

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

welcome to the forum

4. ccwilke

ccwilke Majestic Pets Solutions Sponsor

Hi a refuguim is helpfull it helps with phosphate and nitrates it's also a good breeding place for pods which is a good food sorce for all fish.If you want a Scooter Blennie,Mandarin which depend on live food(also can be learned to eat frozen) it's a good idea to get one.Also I would get rid of the bio balls it creates a nitrate spike at a stage.

I always say keep it as naturaul as posible.Live rock,deep sand bed proper skimmer and a refuguim and Bobs your uncle.......

5. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

A refugium is nothing more than a refuge for whatever critters you wish to keep from exposure to predation. Really as simple as that. People can complicate it as they wish by adding substrate, algae or whatever, but it simply is a refuge. It can have added benefits like assist in nutrient removal and food provision to the main system.
    Agreed to a certain extent on removal of bioballs, just be carefull not to rip them all out in one foul swoop without making contingency plans for nitrification.
    Slso, as mentioned, a dsb in your sump is a great idea, and considering you live in FL, you should have access to free live sand if collection is legal in your country.

gofish727 likes this.
  6. irie ivan

Regarding your proposed plumbing... If you could raise the refugium to be slightly higher than tank and have it overflow into tank instead of sump, even better. I believe you will have a slightly higher percentage of live food reach your tank.

7. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

Welcome to MASA

8. DeanT

DeanT Dean

I am busy with a Refugium for my tank, so i also needed to know this
    if the overflow of the refuge was into the last compartment of your sump would this not be just as good as overflowing straight into your display ?

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I got a remote refuge tank, and a refugium and DSB tank, all connected to my main sump. Plus a 20L frag tank. The remote parts are all in my fish room next to the main tank.

Using 2 standard 4 foot tanks, that is about 220L or in American measurements 55 gallons, and a 60L plastic container.

I got 2 return pumps. If you got a strong enough return pump, then yes T it off into 2 lines would be good as well. But you want to at times disconnect the remote part. So 2 pumps is better than adjusting ball valves.

The one pump, pumps up to frag tank that sits on top of one 220L / 55G refuge tank, that overflows with standard box corner overflow into the bottom 220L / 55G DSB that also have some macro algae. That bottom tank. So from frag, to refuge to DSB.

The bottom tank is lifted by about 200mm (8 inches), and that flows with 50mm PVC back to my main sump. It enters my main sump DSB. But to prevent sandstorms, It falls into a swimming pool leaf catcher basket that disperse the flow very nicely.

For water changes, I switch of the pump for the remote section. Drain water from the middle tank and refill there. Then switch the remote pump on again.

My ATU runs from the main sump last chamber. No need to switch that off and try to remember to switch it back on when done.

Only issue is to be sure that the main sump can handle all the extra overflow for when the power goes out.

10. irie ivan

There was some "studies" done years back whereby it was shown that impellors do kill of a certain amount of micro organisms, hence the suggestion to plumb from and back to display.
    I do however believe that the die off from impellors is not significant enough to have a huge impact.
    Last time i checked, the jury was also out on whether a fuge is beneficial as a food factory for corals, as the animals we keep in a fuge is benthic and not water column bourne...
    It does however make sense that some of the larvae will have a "pellagic" stage, even if its induced by a powerhead and some will survive to become coral food. And hey, even if its a negligable addition in terms of food, pods are just awesome to have and its just as awesome to move a smsll rock from your fuge and watch fish like Copperband butterflies gun for the pods, lol.

11. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

12. the fish

the fish

Welcome to MASA

13. DeanT

DeanT Dean

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357240322.706875.jpg
    Here is a pic of my refugium
    Finished it yesterday

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357240322.706875.jpg

gofish727 likes this.
  14. Gesiggie

Gesiggie Challenge accepted

Looks neat.

Just a suggestion, try to raise the chaeto off the sandbed, It will get covered with detritus soon enough, and then have difficulty with photosynthesis. Or make sure you give it a quick shake or two every now and again...

15. DeanT

DeanT Dean

Anyone suggest what I can keep in the refuge , it looks quite empty at the moment

16. keegz001

keegz001

17. Ruberto Frazao

Ruberto Frazao Sponsor

Welcome

18. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

a refuge should be free of any predators. Including hermits that can take out smaller critters.

But a couple of hermits to keep the place clean, remove settlement is a good thing. But it should only be a few hermits. The same as what you have on your DSB. Number of hermits obviously depends on the hermits size and on the refuge or DSB area size.

Recent Posts