losing fish?

Reaction score
about a month ago I had a very mild white spot outbreak.
I didn't loose any fish due to it.
but two weeks ago I lost one of my clarkii clownfish for absolutely no reason. since the clown was a new addition let's say a month and a half old I thought it might have been bad shipping or something... I tested every thing I can for and all water parameters were good.
but now my wife have phoned me and told me that my emporer angel also died.
now this fish I almost have had for a year and it was in excellent health.. eating like a pig and was almost as thick as my thumb
and exactly as the clown he was still being the boss at feeding time this afternoon totally healthy with absolutely no signs off any illness or colour loss nothing
wats going on:banghead::cursing:

Last edited:
Did you test for ammonia?
Any house hold cleaners/sprays or flea powders used?
Any stray voltage in the tank? The electrolysis on the copper wires can cause issues.

What is your ph?

pH 8.1
ammonia was at zero when I tested it
I do have some gha so even though phosphate test zero I obviously must have some.
I did had one of my external skimmer pumps tripped the earth leakage over the weekend. it's is currently not running but it is still on the skimmer

I'ts so frustrating since I'm busy with a contract so my wife are in control of the aquarium
don't know about the household chemicals.... will find out

the only 2 params really affecting fish is pH and ammonia, nitrite in sea water is not that toxic in low amounts so i assume its environmental or a parasite.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice @dallasg
I will first have that faulty pump remove since there is still water flowing through it and then when I'm back this weekend I will retest all parameters

Thanks for your advice @dallasg..
it was ammonia poisoning.
unfortunately lost one more clown and are currently struggling with a massive gha problem but are slowly winning it.

Thanks for your advice @dallasg..
it was ammonia poisoning.
unfortunately lost one more clown and are currently struggling with a massive gha problem but are slowly winning it.

Hi Sorry stupid question. Would the ammonia have spiked because of a big bioload or what could result in the spike?

no such thing as a stupid question... :)
I was away from home for work for a few weeks and my wife was looking after the tanks. I showed her exactly how much frozen, fresh and dried food she had to give each day and also left her with enough food for at least three months.
well when I came home after less than a month she asked that I need to buy more food :y13:
long story short she totally over fed them... like in 4 times to much.
my system just couldn't handle that bioload and basically crashed.
Shame she was very upset when she realized her mistake......
"but they were still hungry and kept on following me whenever I entered the room.... so I gave them just a bit extra ":banghead:

no such thing as a stupid question... :)
I was away from home for work for a few weeks and my wife was looking after the tanks. I showed her exactly how much frozen, fresh and dried food she had to give each day and also left her with enough food for at least three months.
well when I came home after less than a month she asked that I need to buy more food :y13:
long story short she totally over fed them... like in 4 times to much.
my system just couldn't handle that bioload and basically crashed.
Shame she was very upset when she realized her mistake......
"but they were still hungry and kept on following me whenever I entered the room.... so I gave them just a bit extra ":banghead:
Sorry about that man. She will learn. A little bit of school fees. It's always good to include the wife in the tank. Otherwise they get depressed for being left out.

Back
Top Bottom