Looking for quick drying, reef safe, silicone alternative

Discussion in 'Anything DIY Related' started by ascheff, 9 Aug 2014.

1. ascheff

ascheff

Hi guys,

As the title says, I'm looking for a quick drying alternative to silicone, that's non-toxic and safe to use in my aquarium.

I want to glue perspex to glass in my sump. I can stop my return pump and drain the sump far enough to dry the area I want to glue, but it needs to set fast to get things running again fairly quickly.

Anyone know of anything?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. SilverWolf

SilverWolf

Perspex to glass? Thats a tuff one. What is it that you want to accomplish exactly?

4. ascheff

ascheff Thread Starter

I want to glue a perspex weir comb on top of one of the glass baffles in my sump.

I've turned one compartment in my sump into a refugium, and want to add some macro algae and possibly some snails and crabs in there, and want to prevent all that ending in my return pump chamber.

I replaced the weir comb in my DT overflow a while back because of some broken "teeth", so want to cut that broken one that's now lying around shorter for the sump.

I was thinking a clear epoxy, like the clear pratley one with the two tubes you mix together, but I'm not sure if any if them are safe to use.

5. SilverWolf

SilverWolf

I have used superglue with great success, perspex to glass. Or you can use Pratly putty original. Works well.

6. ascheff

ascheff Thread Starter

Mmm, I didn't actually even think to use superglue. I've got some already, so will try that first, thanks.

I also have pratley quick set from when I did my scaping, and thought of using it, but I'm not keen on the white / grey look, prefer if it sets clear.

7. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

the clear epoxy .. the one that comes in two tubes is a good choice.. it will take around 30 min to be fuly set. the problem with super glue is that it goes brittle under water after some time

8. ascheff

ascheff Thread Starter

Awesome, as that is my first choice. I can definitely keep it dry for 30 mins.

So once set, it won't leach anything toxic into the water?

9. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

to be honest mate I'm not a chemist and don't really know what is the epoxy even made out of.. but I'm using it in my tank and have not seem anything yet that talks me that the epoxy could be leaching something in the water.. I've also read on other forums even on this one about people using it with no problems.. also I have two friends that regularly use it on their tanks :)

10. ascheff

ascheff Thread Starter

Personal experience is the always the best proof.

I just came back from Mica, they didn't have the Pratley one I had in mind. I looked at a Pattex product, but it had a "Dangerous to the environment" warning on the back, the one with the dead fish :)eek:) symbol, so I didn't take it.

I'll go past Builders later to see if the have the Pratley Quickset Clear. It's the one with the green packaging I have in mind. Is that the one you use?

For now I have some new livestock to acclimate :)

Recent Posts