Looking for macro algae and pods

Discussion in 'Other Livestock' started by abgg118, 8 Sep 2014.

1. abgg118

abgg118 MASA Contributor

Good day,

I'm looking for some macro algae from an established source (containing at least some population of pods). I stay in Pretoria and work in Sandton and am willing to commute to pick as well as willing to pay a reasonable amount.

I have a 5 foot tank which I want to dedicate to seahorses and have partitioned it such that the back length should be a breeding ground for pods and the front length contain 2 or 4 tank-reared seahorses.

I understand that this "refugium" (even though about 40% of the tank) will not supply enough food for the horses, but I want it to at least supply some of the requirements of the "total picture", supplemented by other feedings.

Any leads?

Thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I got some Halimedia and red macro algae. But they need good lights. If OK, let me know.

4. abgg118

abgg118 Thread Starter MASA Contributor

Hi Riaan, PM sent ... Thanks

5. VicZA

VicZA

guys ... do the sponsors sell pods that can be fed directly into the tank to feed a mandarin (for example) or is it best to create a LR and Macro Algae refugium ?

I have been hatching brine shrimp and feeding that into the tank but am not convinced it's enough - and it's hard work

Last edited: 15 Sep 2014
  6. Ryan Wolmarans

Ryan Wolmarans

Riaan what do u mean by good lights? I have a LED floodlight over the refuge with cheato, red and culuptra? Is this suffeciant?

7. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

as far as i remember its illegal to import, but i think its opening up and DT's plankton is hopefully available soon

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I got a 10W LED spotlight over my cheato and caulerpa. There I get good grow and I'm happy with the results. But the same unit did not work over Halimedia and my red macro algae. Both started bleaching out. Moves them back to the ahallow frag tank under T5 units and both are recovering nicely now.

AFAIK, Halimedia needs MH 150W and above to grow nicely, OK it does depend on how deep the tank is. In my frag tank they sit in 100 to 150mm deep under the lights. So I cannot really compare that to a normal display or deeper refugium.

9. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

It's more spectrum than wattage for most species. Most Halimeda and reds are found deeper (right down to 60m), so they actually need less light but with more blue.

Exceptions are a few species of Halimeda that grow on the reef crest that just need very strong light.

10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I got that Halimeda that grows in the shallow rock pools. Looks like attached disks on a string.

And that does make a lot of sense. So actually I should not keep the Halimeda and the red macro algae together. Red want to be in deeper water, with more blue. Not a 6000K spotlight spectrum. And the Halimeda is a shallow inhabitant and needs stronger light, lot more white, can do with 6000K but needs more. Hmmm, need to change a few things around.

11. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

I've never really had much luck with the local rockpool Halimeda, but then I haven't tried blasting it with the silly amounts of light it most likely needs.

Recent Posts