Looking for advise

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Raccoon, 5 Jul 2013.

1. Raccoon

Raccoon

I'm hoping to get some view points on a new tank. Yes, I've only recently started with this hobby and already I want to get a bigger tank. I currently have a Juwel Vision 180 and am really loving my tank. I would like to get myself another bigger tank and have narrowed it down to one of two options, which I am battling to decide on which option to pick, so hoping to get some opinions in helping me choose which one to go for.

I would really love to get another Juwel tank, as I love the look of the tank. I was looking at either the 1.2 or the 1.5 meter, but because my lights won't cover 1.5 meters, it would have to be a 1.2 meter.
    The other option is to get a tank built, and in order to make it look pretty, I would get it made with black silicone, with the black strips at the top and bottom. A black cupboard would be made to cover the sump. I already have a stand, sump, skimmer etc that I would need. I would just need to get the tank made and add the pretty finishes to it. The tank would be 1 meter x 700 x 600 deep.

In your opinion, which tank would you go for?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

its hard to answer, the pros of a custom tank is that you can decide how exactly you want everything. as for off the shelf tanks you would need to be very happy with it and see what possible changes can to done to it for future growth etc

4. Raccoon

Raccoon Thread Starter

Thanks @dallasg - Which option would you personally go for?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. dallasg

personally a custom tank, i have built all my own tanks and allows me to have the design freedom and have options that arent available in pre-made. eg Silent overflows, euro-bracing etc

6. Ml.RIDWAN

Ml.RIDWAN

Racoon y not come see my tank maybe u can take it away 1.5m black silicone more or less wat u looking for

7. Raccoon

Raccoon Thread Starter

Thank-you for your help. Does anyone else have any suggestions?

8. jono

jono MASA Contributor

Ive had both plug and play systems and currently i have a custom built 4foot the beauty for me with a custom built tank is i have the choice of hardware ie bigger skimmers, lighting, reactors etc. And its all behind closed cabnets and doesnt take the beauty from my tank, and when it comes to replacing equipment you arent limited.

My opinion anyways:rockon:

9. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

I still believe the best dimensions for a mixed reef is 1500 x 600 x 600

10. Wesd

Wesd

id say go for the custom, but make the length 1.2 (that .2 will make a big difference for the emporer, believe it or not), but just my 2 cents :)

11. Raccoon

Raccoon Thread Starter

Thank you, I really appreciate the input. I would love to go for a 1.5m tank, but the maximum size my lights could possibly go, is 1.2m. I don't want to have to go out and buy much more than I already have if I go for a custom tank. Also, I already have a stand for a 1m x 700cm, unless someone has a stand for 1.2m x 700cm?

12. dallasg

from experience the deeper, front to back, the more depth and aqua-scaping ideas you can do, so i had a 1200x800x500 and it was awesome and was in the sweet spot for cost vs pleasure, 432L

13. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

I've just finished building a 800 x 700 x 600 system for pipefish and mandarins. Really liking the dimensions. The bit of extra width (700) gives you more options to aquascape. Tank, stand and sump has cost me under R3000, and I've built it with higher than required safety margins.

Low quality cell pic before I put the bracings on:

[​IMG]

14. pkc

pkc

Dallasq comment on a custom tank is the best.
    I have always made my own bio filters and tanks, as well now for over 30 years and it’s the way to go.
    You acquire or follow the knowledge, you build from that knowledge and you sit back and appreciate your amazingly simple and healthy reef.
    These are my builds lately, I hope they give you some inspiration.
    These are my small latest builds, the previous to them I made were ten,six,five,four and several 3 foot tanks. My hobby shrunk,lol.
    http://southeastqueenslandm.aforumfree.com/t884-my-first-glass-aquarium-in-two-yearsa-moderately-eutrophic-system
    The type of bio filter I designed and build.
    http://southeastqueenslandm.aforumfree.com/t1326-diy-sump-biological-filtration-for-reef-aquariums
    After the cyclone, this is the top aquarium now.
    http://southeastqueenslandm.aforumfree.com/t1881-my-top-tank-after-the-power-outage-of-february-2013

Recent Posts