Look at what I found....but is it safe?

Discussion in 'Reef Hunters' started by Dorrey, 7 Aug 2011.

1. Dorrey

Dorrey

Hey Guys,

I went down to the beach yesterday and found a couple of things for my tank.
    One which i could identify was a red Tube worm, the other a huge starfish (which I now found out I can't add to my tank :() and two unknown soft ????

Maybe someone can identify these for me. The one is a very bright red color and is soft like a sponge about the size of a R5 piece. The other feels like a jelly fish and when it is open the outer rim has tubes that almost look like a flower that is opening up but in the center it has a nasty mouth that seemed to be sucking the life out of a snail and when touched it closes up completely with the snail shell all inside of it.

The picture i have shows it as it is closed up with the snail and shell inside of it. :confused1:

All of the above was found amongst rocks around Gordon's Bay in Cape Town

What is safe to keep and add to a reef tank and what not?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dorrey

Dorrey Thread Starter

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

1. tube worm
    2. hmmmm...looks like a dead urchin or urchin with no spines...?
    3. colonial anemone

5. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn

great finds but the likelyhood of survival is minimul due to water tempreture diferences,i collected a couple of really bright pink,purple and blue urchans and also some awesum looking starfish in the fishoek area and they only lasted a week....i would also like some other guys inputs bout locally caught livestock and survival rates

6. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn

@Dorrey oops,sorry i didn mean to jack your thread but i think it will be quite informative with other inputs in capetown area an there collections and survivals

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  7. coswecanfly

coswecanfly

EVERYTHING I have collected in tidal pools here has survived... I've said it before and I'll say it again... Think at what things from tidal pools go through... BIG temperature changes 4 times a day with summer temps up to almost 30 degrees... Small pools mean massive param changes with all kinds of polutants and rotting stuff... Kids running around with them in buckets for hours and yet they survive... Drip them for two hours and you're good to go... :thumbup:

8. Sammy

Sammy

I collected an urchin in sea point tidal pool around 3 weeks ago and still doing well, munching away

9. Dane

Dane

There is a huge difference between collecting something that can survive in isolated rockpools and something on the shore. I would not advise collecting anything for a tropical tank in the cold waters around cape town. Isolated rockpool species are an exception as they are adapted to survive massive swings in temperature, salinity etc and are typically very hardy. That said, as a general rule, one should never collect anything they do not know the habits/lifestyle of - for example you may be adding a predatory whelk which quite happily feasts on your corals instead of an algae muncher.

Furthermore, once you have exposed indigenous organisms to your tank, which contains other creatures which have been shipped from all over the world, you cannot just reintroduce the indigenous species back into the wild, as they may be carrying novel pathogens from other parts of the ocean to which local species have no resistance. Dorry, I'm not sure any of the animals you have collected will survive long, but I have not tried with any of them...

Sorry to sound preachy, but I think its an important point. The best thing to do is get a copy of the local marine organism ID book (Two Oceans) and do a little reading before you take things out of their natural habitat. Its better for you, your tank and the environment.

10. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

+1

11. coswecanfly

coswecanfly

+1 on ID first and not reintroducing them back to the ocean but
    -1 on not surviving... again, EVERYTHING from a tidal pool will (and have) survive if you acclimatize them correctly...

12. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

have to disagre with this. Rockpool creatures are capable of handling vast swings in temperature, salinity and other parameters, however not all of them are capable of thriving at the higher temps of our tanks for sustained periods of time. Some creatures are more tolerant of different conditions than others.

13. crispin

crispin

+1 agreed wholeheartedly. leave the cold water stuff in cold water....ie either create a tank suited to its needs (you can search jacquesB for what he did a while back) or leave it in the ocean.

14. crispin

crispin

+2 on all of the above

Recent Posts