Longnose Hawkfish

Reaction score
Seen a few guys with them in their nano's over at nano-reef.com. They are reef safe if i'm not mistaken but might not be invert safe? I might be wrong on that one.

Ian at Jungle Pet zone just got 2 of these in at a VERY good price if you interested warr ;)

Reaction score
Seen a few guys with them in their nano's over at nano-reef.com. They are reef safe if i'm not mistaken but might not be invert safe? I might be wrong on that one.

Ian at Jungle Pet zone just got 2 of these in at a VERY good price if you interested warr ;)
Where is Jungle Zone ?

Reaction score
I had one. Very nice fish, mostly perches on coral/LR. It is said to eat especially cleaner shrimp, though mine left my shrimp alone. I am sure it will make a quick meal out of smaller cleaner shrimps though.

Mine had a tendency to jump over my overflow weir into my overflow chamber, so I had to "rescue" him once a week. Nice fish.

Reaction score
one of my favourites. when it comes to feeding time he sits in my hand and chows of my finger tips! really a friendly fish with such character! get one if you can and take the chance with the shrimp.

Reaction score
Warren: As you go into the shop turn right, take a left at the coral tank and first right. There's a few more tanks on your right that are SW. There's 2 longnose hawks in those tanks...

Although you shouldve just asked? ;)

Reaction score
Warren: As you go into the shop turn right, take a left at the coral tank and first right. There's a few more tanks on your right that are SW. There's 2 longnose hawks in those tanks...

Although you shouldve just asked? ;)

How much $$

Reaction score
I've had one for about 6 months now, they are very interesting fish, never had a problem with him yet, they don't have a swim bladder so when they stop swimming they sink, hence the reason they perch on things. Got 2 cleaner shrip in the tank and have never seen him even try something with them, but they are medium sized. They need a covered tank as they do jump, otherwise very nice and easy fish.

maj

Reaction score
How tempremental are these fish?should they be added last to a tank?
Jcc had one of these and he looked quite cool in the tank.

Reaction score
maj ive always found them relativley docile. as the thread says, smaller shrimps may be taken, but when i added new cleaners after my hawk i had them in my sump untill they had molted twice and then added the without any issues. A long nosed hawk is a lovely addition to a reef tank IMO:)

Johan van Aardt

I love marines [R.I.P.]
Reaction score
At this stage thats the fish on my most wanted list, as the others said they do jump so just watch out for that. As far as ive read they are the hawk fish thats less likely to touch any shrimp. They are totally reef safe

maj

Reaction score
thnks gents,need to build my canopy then before gettin the hawk then.
very nice fish,what does it go for normally?