Long stems on zoas

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by ATV, 3 Apr 2014.

1. ATV

ATV

Hello MASA

Having some issues with my zoas. They all have long stems that won't shorten.

I know that its usually a light related issue but I have them on the bottom of the tank (60cm), running radions at 100%, high growth (radions about 30cm off the water). Is that insufficient light?

They all look really healthy (will post pics tomorrow with the lights on). What else could be causing this?

Thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Radions, Gen?
    With or without TIR lenses?

Dimensions of the tank and how many Radion units?

4. ATV

ATV Thread Starter

1 unit, Gen 1 with TIR. Tank is a 90 x 90 cube but the light is positioned slightly to the left and all my corals sit in that 70 cm area under the lights. Beginning to think it might be a width problem because there is effectively only only cluster emitting light from the width perspective (radion is mounted length wise across the tank).

Last edited: 3 Apr 2014
  5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Pictures maybe.
    close up of the zoa
    And a FTS with light unis included.

What could be happening is that due to a single source point of light, all the zoa tries to get to it. Adding another Radon moving them slightly apart and angled inwards could help. but is an expensive test to see if it will help.

6. ATV

ATV Thread Starter

One more note, the zoas arn't very far from the center of the tank, maybe 25cm out from the radions clusters

7. ATV

ATV Thread Starter

Hadn't thought of that but yes, it is a very expensive test ha ha. Will upload pics tomorrow when the lights are on. Could I try moving them directly under the light to see if it helps? Can zoas get too much light?

8. tyronvs

tyronvs

Tagging

9. jclaas

jclaas

tag

10. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Mine stretched when they were looking for light but once I put them higher they stayed like that but there's enough light over them so leaving it as is because the other zoas are fine & so are the sps...

11. archiecrain

archiecrain

They will mostly stretch for light, but Ive seen them sometimes do the same when there is low flow on that particuler colony....

If you suspect light may be the suspect try moving your radion to different locations over your tank. I do this with my Kessil as its a very direct lights source and I find that my zoas get shaded easily.

12. 4age

4age

I have that same issue with zoas in my tank..after chatting with Ayoob, we realised that it could be from the LEDs and the fact that its a single source of light. I wouldn't worry about it being a health issue, as even with the long stalks my zoas are fine..i must admit that it looks better with short stalks

13. 4age

4age

are those the pink zoas you got from me?

14. KSreefster

KSreefster

Hi everyone, we've also seen this before. In my case it was definitely light, because when we did a blackout to kill off hair algae, the zoas would stretch to the nearest window. 3 days later we switched the lights back on, only for a few hours, and the zoas were back to normal.

Last edited: 4 Apr 2014
  15. ATV

ATV Thread Starter

My radion is drilled into a concrete roof so moving it around is a last resort at this stage. They arn't shaded at all though.

Flow might be a potential cause. I think that because of the length of their stems I tried to place them in a relatively low flow area to prevent them all being blown around (was worried about their health and couldn't really enjoy them with them waving around). How much flow should zoas be exposed to?
    @4age, yip got both sets of zoas from you. They look amazing under the leds during the morning cycle, very bright neon colours. On allot of the other forums I saw people givng mixed results when putting their zoas under led's. Some had long stem issues, some lost their zoas and others said they had really good growth.

I'm not a lighting expert but from what I have read (people with similar setups to mine) many people run their radions at 45% and still don't experience this issue so I am more inclined towards either the low flow argument or the single light source explanation.

Should be able to post pics in about 2 hours

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  16. Carcharias

Carcharias

@ATV. You always find in the sea that Zoas are in the tidal zone which means they get exposed to a lot of wave action and direct sun. With that in mind if they were long they would break off every time a wave hit them. So if your Zoas got good colour then most likely you need more flow. Just my take on it.

17. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

I will reserve comment till post pictures :p

18. jimilutz

jimilutz

I bought some long stemmed Zoas and placed them right at the top of my rockwork, next to the Tunze 6105. The stems have stayed long and never shrunk. I fragged a few of them and those that have been placed in high light have reproduced to make short babies. Those frags that I placed on the bottom of my tank have made long stem babies. So I think that low light lengthens the stems but once they have grown long, they dont shrink again. I think that in @KSreefster tank the short term involved may have been why they shrunk back.

19. ATV

ATV Thread Starter

@jimilutz Is that under LED lighting aswell?

Excuse the quality of the pics. The are abit shorter now during the day (the red and greens) the pink zoas are a new addition so still trying to find a place more to the center for them but the area they are in has decent flow.

Ordered two tunze 6105's to improve the flow around thee tank. Going to run the tunze's along the top for the sps and put the D3's pushing water around the bottom of the tank at a slightly slower rate for the lps and the softies.

IMG_20140404_132515.jpg

IMG_20140404_132529.jpg

IMG_20140404_132544.jpg

IMG_20140404_132558.jpg

IMG_20140404_132616.jpg

20. Moolis Moolman

Moolis Moolman Pet Stop SA Sponsor

it seem like the new growth are already short?

If so just give them time - might be already longer on a cellular level and then shortening might not be physically possible.
    Have seen this once and it took ages for them to shorten in the customers reef aquarium. In his case poor lighting for 12 months caused this and they never shortened back enough to look similar to the new polyp growth.

21. ATV

ATV Thread Starter

I think that the new growth is shorter (not completely short but still shorter) if it grows away from the main colony. The greens zoas are spreading but some end up being shaded by the existing zoas and end up extending anyway. As long as they are healthy then I am not too concerned, just want to make sure they are not slowing wasting away without me noticing due to a lack of light or flow.

Seems like what jimilutz has experienced is happening here aswell? Should I frag a small piece and put it on a seperate plug to see how the new zoas form?

Last edited: 4 Apr 2014
Recent Posts