Locally Caught Fish

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by mrhurricane23, 6 Jan 2014.

1. mrhurricane23

mrhurricane23

Hi,

Just a quick simple question,

Since you are not allowed (by law) to sell locally caught fish, is it legal to swap/trade fish between people, i.e, I have a locally caught Raccon Butterfly which i want to trade to a friend for his locally caught blue koran semi?

Also, is it legal for people to sell frags of corals from their private tanks at home?

Any info is much appreciated,

Thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

The permit states that you may not sell, trade, swap nor donate locally caught fish.

4. Bubbles22

Bubbles22

No, not at all.

5. mrhurricane23

mrhurricane23 Thread Starter

Thanks for clearing it up for me. i assume the same goes for the coral frags?

6. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

No, frags are fine, we have a for sale section where lots of members regularly sell frags. :)

7. Bubbles22

Bubbles22

Not for anything locally collected.

8. Darren24

Darren24

Tagging along, I made the mistake of advertising a locally caught fish that I decided I did not want. Thankfully I was informed that this was illegal by one of the Members on this site, apologised and closed my listing.

What does the law state in terms of the collection of corals along our shoreline, I was informed by my LPS that it is illegal to take just about anything from our shoreline. I have therefore not touched anything as I believe that it is a serious offence if caught. I however often see people on the beach collecting corals and live rock.

All feedback is appreciated, this is an awesome hobby but there is so much to learn. don't want to land myself in the POO.

is it legal to collect corals such as Zoa's if you have a collectors licence (normal one purchased at post office)

Last edited: 6 Jan 2014
  9. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

You can collect soft corals with the invertebrate permit (zoas included).

10. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Yes, soft corals are fine. Hard corals are illegal to collect. I found some of these zoa's north of Durban. Stunning colours.

[​IMG]

11. Darren24

Darren24

that's good to know, so if I find a small rock with some Zoa's or similar (soft) on it, I can pick it up put it in a bucket, if stopped by the authorities show it to them along with my permit and be on my merry way?

12. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

You can collect....

You cannot pass it on.

But a frag that grew out to be a mother colony. And you frag that like a year later. and that grows out to be a frag size that could be sold. What is the implications then? Can that be sold / traded / swapped? (Preferably not sold)

Recent Posts