Local Zoa / Paly ID

Discussion in 'ID Needed' started by Gareth0508, 17 Jan 2014.

1. Gareth0508

Gareth0508

I'm trying to ID this for my In-Law. (Sorry about the poor quality cell pic!)

[​IMG]

There were literally hundreds of these nested together on the Isipingo Rocks.
    They look like a single colony when together, but are actually individuals with a sort of suction base.

Any Ideas @Lord_Blackadder

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. shan

shan

not sure what they are but I don't think you want them. Was collecting once and another guy told me they were bad news for a tank but this was back in 2008. Not sure why they bad news though.

let an expert comment

4. Gareth0508

Gareth0508 Thread Starter

They are the only things in a Frag tank we just built. We just wanted to find out what they were. They actually look nice when they grouped together. Bright white with lumo green centre! Pity if they bad!

Last edited: 17 Jan 2014
  5. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

Colonial anemones. Two Oceans book calls them Gyractis excavata, but I'm doubtful on that name. Very common in some spots in KZN and loads in TK. I haven't had a problem with them in tanks. They do seem to need huge amounts of light to do well though since they're usually found in shallow rockpools.

6. Gareth0508

So they reef safe?

7. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

They've got a bit of a sting, but I haven't had any issues.

8. Gareth0508

I think I'll give these ones a skip. They probably reproduce pretty fast I'm assuming. There were literally hundreds of them all over the place!

Thanks Bud!

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

could be colonial anemones. Makes big dense mats in shallow rock pools. Their sting is powerful and will push other corals out.

That is if I got the right ID. Yours seems a bit pale to those I saw last time when down at the coast.

10. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

I've had some for ages and they seem to only multiply very slowly. You get lots of colour variations. They've usually got green centers, pink tentacles and pink spots on the base.

11. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I had another much smaller colonial anemone in my tank. Bright green center. Max 5mm across.

Once they started multiplying they spread like wild fire. I nuked them with vinegar. Inject each little one little by little. They came back, but I did a round 2 killing spree. Some did come back for round 3, but so far that was the end of them.

I also have Natal rock anemones in my tank, about R5 coin size, dark olive green. Seems they can grow in shade, as most of them hang on the undersides of my rocks. They do multiply, but very slowly. One even survives in my sump with no light. These I do not have any issue with.

So yes, there are many different types of colonial anemones.

12. Gareth0508

Thanks guys. Good to know. I also have a few variations of the common anemones in my tank. You get some nice colours. They seem harmless. Ill leave these colonial ones in the frag tank and see how they do. Harmless experiment.

Recent Posts