Local vs Import

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by FransSny, 8 Sep 2010.

1. FransSny

FransSny

Hi guys, I have been thinking about this for quite some time and after meeting a local chap passionate about SA & supporting local products I started thinking a bit more and would like to pose the question.

If you had the option of buying locally manufactured products (lets say your "nice to have's ie controllers , probes , chillers etc etc). Would you ?

If you dont mind elaborating on your answer that would also be cool.

I would personally love to rather support local if the price is competitive enough and backup is available

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Johan van Aardt

Johan van Aardt I love marines [R.I.P.]

I would support the local product but then there is conditions wich i will list below.

1. It must be of good quality, better or equal to the best out there.

2. There must be good support for the product, i dont want to wait a month for parts, especially not if my whole tank relies on the equipment.

3. It must be competitive in price, i dont mind paying a bit more for the product as long as it has the above mentioned things.

4. Functionality - I want to be able to do alot with something for me to even considder spending alot of money on something.

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I would support local livestock....

But on hardware the problem is that it is very difficult to compete with the Chinese in terms of price on goods. They got excelent rip-off products, and the quality is getting better and better on various Chinese products, not only marine products. And our labour cost, Eish.

Other problem is, if I make a product at a reasonable price. It have to be the best in the range. You will find people that will take it apart with negative comments - it cannot do this, or that German product is better. And in all they forget that you are delivering the product at a REASONABLE price. And our SA market is just that big.

You get what you pay. You do not pay less than 100 thou for a brand new car and expect sub 6 seconds 0-100, circuit like handling, 8 airbags and more electronic wizardry than the first space missions.

Last edited: 8 Sep 2010
  5. Slummies

Slummies

agree with johan

6. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

also agree with johan

7. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

Certainly a noble idea.... my comments

Livestock .... I dont really care as long as it is competitively priced HOWEVER i DO care whether it is wild caught vs mariculture vs aquaculure and i would happily pay accordingly imported or not

Hardware .... Reality is that the odds of a locally based company out competing the factories in the east is negligable, if they can and with Johan's conditions i and most reefers i know would support them .... but economy of scale will nail them IMHO

8. AfricaOffroad

AfricaOffroad

Its a global economy.
    I buy from the most competitive source.

9. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Hmmmm difficult one. I for one (and I would imagine) most others would in fact support a proudly SA drive into the marine hobby - however, as mentioned, the east does has a firm hold on world products.

BUT, that said, SA has no (that I know of) hardware manufacturing companies for marines. Thus alot of guys that does i.e perspex (for skimmers) doesn't understand the nature of the market, and thus cost is quite high.

If one can just get a company to start building skimmers (on Johan's requirements) and the cost is on PAR with the rest, then yes, the market would grow within SA, and people would support this product more.

I think that Marines are a huge growing hobby in SA, and there is still alot of people going to keep marines, as it is fairly new to SA compared to the US for example. If a SA company can start manufacturing locally, they will grow with the market, and we would not need to import anymore.

My 2c

10. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

I would buy locally produced products if they well priced and locally developed.
    If a local company copies the design of a piece of hardware, slaps on their own sticker and sells for the same price as the import then i will most certainly buy the import. Its about time SA used its own brains and started developing its own novel products.

11. poiromaniax

poiromaniax MASA Contributor

I agree with johans and 459b points:thumbup:

Phuture Labs already make their own hardware, how difficult can it be? If more than one person makes products, then we can expect better prices.

I think the main problem currently with local products is that they are too expensive. Why should I pay X amount for a local skimmer when i could add few hundred and get a branded skimmer which I know performs really well

My 2c

12. SIMS

SIMS

I recon the sa market is way too small for someone to start a company aking hardware. I do however feel livestock is a definate option. There are many people trying it on a smalish scale. Soon someone will hit it lucky or two or 3 smaller guys will join and make one bigish supplier to the trade. I notice quite a big drive towards aquaculture in the states and suspect it will spin off everywhere.

13. JD167

JD167

If it does the same job as the import and at a very competitive price with a warranty to back it up, then I'll support local.

14. LuckyFish

LuckyFish MASA Contributor

Not with this kind of regulations in this country.
    As long as words like common sense and thinking out of the box are not well used practise at decision making departments, there will be no live stock supply locally.
    As it wouldn't be the albinos I would have given up long time ago!

15. SIMS

SIMS

WHY do you say this?

16. FransSny

FransSny Thread Starter

Out of interest poiro, if a skimmer was a "knock off" of a branded product what would the name matter ?

17. Johan van Aardt

Johan van Aardt I love marines [R.I.P.]

as long as the skimmer has the same performance, or even close to the same performance i think ill take the local skimmer

18. poiromaniax

poiromaniax MASA Contributor

It wouldnt really, but if the difference is a few hundred, why get the knock off - rather get the branded, have all their backup services, and KNOW that you are getting a top notch piece of equipment

I would also, just dependant on price.

What good is having local products if they are basically the same price as imported stuff?

19. Slummies

Slummies

skimmer is the biggest hoax ever. tube of perspex with a good pump = R3000+.. sheeesh.. you telling me its cheaper to get a play station 3 than a bloody skimmer? local all the way

20. Scatmansworld

Scatmansworld

i agree with Slummies our local stuff are cheaper and may even perform better than expensive imported skimmers.

21. SIMS

SIMS

only local skimmers I know of is Phuturlabs - what others are there?

Recent Posts