Local to not Local fish and Coral

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by nakoma, 12 Feb 2016.

1. nakoma

nakoma

Hi everyone I have not posted here in ages , We live alongside our Indian ocean and we catch local Indian Ocean fish . What I want to know is it possible to say to someone hey.... that LPS coral you have there in your tank is local Or hey ........that goldie you caught it local . Just want to know what you all think if this is nonsense or not . If I buy a racoon butterfly fish from a pet store to me it is not possible to say if he is local or not I would say he is native to the Indian Ocean . We certainly do have some things in one region you will not get in another place . Like in Australia you get the Blue ringed Octopus , but yet you do not get them here but still it is the Indian Ocean . I am not talking about those type of things i am talking about very common things like certain species of LPS and local fish that you can import as well . I have all my invoices for stuff i bought through the years but what if those invoices fade so much you can't read them anymore . This has happened to me , how will you prove then that you bought your sun coral and did not remove it . :confused1:

Last edited: 12 Feb 2016
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I rather not accused somebody if there are no proof.

The further south you go, Transkei, East London, yes there are more and more creatures you will find, that for sure is not available up higher in Natal. So yes, it is possible to say with certainty that something is local, if from lower down the coast even easier. The hermits I got is local. Everybody knows that. But they do occur up higher as well. So I have to believe the shop if they say they are from Kenya.

As long as you can be at ease with your conscious.

nakoma likes this.
  4. nakoma

nakoma Thread Starter

Thanks Riaan great reply , the things i want to know about is like lets name a example . Sun coral did I buy it in a shop or did I remove it . What i am talking about is things you can clearly buy as well , Goldies and butterfly fish the list is long . I agree if the gut feeling says its ok its ok . But I think some things will be very hard to identify if it is local or not no matter how good a person claims to be

Last edited: 12 Feb 2016
  5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Luckily, somebody can only sell that many Goldies in the for sale section. Before it gets really suspicious, having a sales thread for weeks with lots of interested buyers replying. I for one would not want the authorities tracking my sales habit and have them knocking on my door, pretending to be a interested buyer. Nope...

But if somebody is breaking down a tank, and there are the one lone sun coral, I doubt the authorities will even blink an eye. I do not care in this case. What should I do if I decide tomorrow to break down my tank. Kill all my hermits that I already have for at least 18 months? According to the law, that is what I must do.

Recent Posts