local test kits

Reaction score
Hello to all fellow hobbyists. Quick market survey here. If we can buy excellent quality test kits at a fraction of the costs with well known brands( foreign exchange rates. Name brand and packaging)
Contributing to ridiculous pricing for these essential items......would there be a market for it. Please let me know.

id say with stuff like that....not unless you from a reputable marine aquarium company that has years of testing results at hand.
unfortunatly test kits are like salt.....i would not touch them unless i see the name recognised with good reputation internationally.
i invest alot in my system...so would not short change myself for possible future let down.
just my own personal opinion....but hay.....
like they always say...you never know until you go.....
but in this situation id have to wait a few years and watch alot of people go before id say id use it

Last edited:
the making of test kits is easy :)
i could explain the processes, the issue comes in with the shipping and transporting of the chemicals. the containers available here are to expensive and make it not worth while

i only buy Red Sea test kits. the thing is that all test kits are the same more or less.. they all use the same chemicals to cause a reaction and give a certain result that will help us get a reading. the problem is that some of those chemicals are subject to expiry date and buying from non reputable suppliers can result in buying expired test kits.

ive been reading online about DIY test kits using chemicals that one could easily buy from a chemist. which im sure would work on the same principal as market brand but if i try those it would be out of curiosity and just to compare.. i wont really rely on them.

we spend too much money on our tanks... spending 500 rand a year on a quality proven test kit wont change my life

What do u mean shipping the chemicals. The end products themselves. I have acess to a lab and the distributors of the little test bottles etc.
I agree with the previous post however i would use my expensive test kit along side my local one to test accuracy.
Im just over being ripped off.

agree....labelling also a big cost factor...i know when we did supplements that unless you sell thousands of each line to justify getting plates made at a hefty amount,
you can pay as much as a couple rand per label as apposed to a couple cents.
all adds up when you do a front and back label bla bla bla

but im not saying dont try the test kit thing.....just saying dont go balls to the wall unless volumes are there

i only buy Red Sea test kits. the thing is that all test kits are the same more or less.. they all use the same chemicals to cause a reaction and give a certain result that will help us get a reading. the problem is that some of those chemicals are subject to expiry date and buying from non reputable suppliers can result in buying expired test kits.

ive been reading online about DIY test kits using chemicals that one could easily buy from a chemist. which im sure would work on the same principal as market brand but if i try those it would be out of curiosity and just to compare.. i wont really rely on them.

we spend too much money on our tanks... spending 500 rand a year on a quality proven test kit wont change my life

agree and well said....gets the point i was trying to relay across well, without sounding negative;)

test kits

oh i wouldnt do that without extensive research and development.
Was testing the waters excuse the pun.

oh i wouldnt do that without extensive research and development.

it would be interesting to try. but that would defy the whole purpose.. what i mean is that the extensive research and development can end up being too costly... in fact i believe that one would probably need lab equipment to achieve constant and accurate readings

With regard to conducting market surveys on the open forum....according to MASA rules, posting in anticipation of potential business is classified as commercial amd thus not allowed.

With regard to conducting market surveys on the open forum....according to MASA rules, posting in anticipation of potential business is classified as commercial amd thus not allowed.

My opinion...

I think that a seperate forum for potential "South African" product surveys might be benifical to the industry. We as South Africans need to encourage SA content into the industry. If the survey is for imported items then that is another issue.

Perhaps i should open a thread on the subject rather than derail this one.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom