Local Starfish

Reaction score
Are the starfish (2-3cm) ones u find in abundance in rock pools reef safe? They are very flat and come in a large variety of colors.

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Storm - I think that you are talking about the tiny "cushion stars". In my experience, that are indeed reef safe. They even had babies in my tank before. I actually want to get some more.....

Reaction score
Yea that's the one i was looking for, and now i got a name for them aswell. So they are indeed reef safe. Thanks for the info that saves me on searching for starfish =]

Reaction score
i have one, bin harmless in my tank :) bout 1.5 cm across. its rock coloured(red green purple) so it blends in well. which sucks. i only ever see it on every other ocassion. but otherwise nothing wrong with them :) that is if its a cushin star :whistling:
have a look right at the beginning of my thread. "my tank"
heres the link
My tank! - Members Systems and Setups

Reaction score
Every morning my viewing panels look like the milky way. Hundreds if not thousands of miniature cushion stars cover the glass. I would say they cool

Reaction score
Are they seasonal in the pools or can you find them year round?
I'm planning a trip down some time and would like to pick up a few...

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Storm - the one's on our coast are not the EXACT same species as in the article that you found.

The one's on our coast are vegetarian, as far as I could see. They only "ate" diatoms, detritus, and micro algae....

Reaction score
Isn't the local one much much smaller? That guy is holding it in his hand...the ones I;ve seen here fit on our finger tip...

Reaction score
i have 2 in my nano - see them every now and and have not lost any clams or corals so they should be safe - i got mine in the south coast {park rayne (sp)}

Reaction score
Occellaris - the problem is not capturing them, the problem is finding them - they blend so well with the rocks that it is almost impossible to find - i was just lucky

also they are very safe to handle by hand

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Well Shan - you are right. These little guys camouflage themselves very well. They can actually change color. BUT - there are MILLIONS of them in our rock pools ALL over the South African coastline..... Not really difficult finding them.

Also - no - they should only be treated with respect as because of their size, they are easily hurt/damaged..... They are fragile :)
BUT, they are a TREAT to watch once they are in our tanks!