Local Snails

williet

Look at the shiny LEDs!!!
Reaction score
The only likely Strombus you're gonna find locally is S. mutabilis. Much smaller species and a super algae eater. They even clean hair algae off your seagrass and other macroalgae without damaging them. I got 4 in the Kei last week:

The other larger species only start to become common in Moz. Pretty rare to find live ones this far south (but certainly possible).

PS. the Clanculus spp and Calliostoma spp. topshells tend to be sponge/coral eaters. Clanculus atricatena is pretty common here live and they're sponge eater IME.

Dactylastele burnupi is also pretty common under rocks here. Used to be in Trochidae but now they're in their own family, Calliostomatidae. Most are coral munchers, and this species wrecks zoanthids:

I wish I could get some of these bad boys ! got some Zoas that just wont die!

Reaction score
Hi @RiaanP, is there any chance that you would be willing to update this thread, I am unable to view the identification pictures on page one. Going to Durban end of Dec and want to collect a Cuc.

Photobucket :m20:

Last edited:

RiaanP

Reaction score
Updated, And what I want to say about Photobucket I'm not allowed to say those exact words here on the open forum.

RiaanP

Reaction score
YIP, or local name topshell.

RiaanP

Reaction score
First, were did you collect? Natal?
All looks like the same species. Part of the turbinidae family if not mistaken.

RiaanP

Reaction score
OK, that helps me.

Yes they are vegetarian, will confirm the correct name tonight from out of my snail books.

Note, these are colder water snails. And will not last that long in our warmer tanks. Yes they can handle warm tidal pool waters, but that is for short periods, until the next high tide. Out tanks at a constant 25 degrees is not what they are used to. Today's water temperature for Mossel Bay is 17.8°C
https://www.seatemperature.org/africa/south-africa/mossel-bay.htm

Reaction score
Thanks for the snail ID. Will the same water temp issue persist with sea weeds and grasses

RiaanP

Reaction score
Depends, does the same species exists in Northern Natal? If yes, then no problem.

Reaction score
Hi all, can anyone identify this snail , came from strandfontein cold water ,
20180610_015223-1.jpg

RiaanP

Reaction score
part of the whelk family. Mostly they are vultures. Eat anything dead. You need to feed it small pieces of fish weekly.

Reaction score
Thanks a million Riaan , ended up returning him to where I found him though , breaking down the nano for a 3.5m which may be coming from my uncle very soon. :swim:don't know how I'm getting it from Struisbaai though .

Reaction score
20180706_150730-1.jpg
Hi guys ,not sure if these are Nassarius gaudiosus ... they are very tiny , under 1cm. Are these baddies ?

Top Bottom