Local sand hermits

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by deadmeat2016, 3 Nov 2010.

1. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

I recently aquired about 10 local hermits from strand and they are soooo cute! thriving in my sump and gave it a makeover in 3 days! Anyways, I was wondering if these guys are reef safe and if I am killing them by keeping them in my tank? they seem really happy :(

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

They look ok, only problem could be the water temperature. Marine tanks run a lot warmer that the water is in Strand area. But then again, rockpools do heat up a lot when isolated during low tide. But that is only for a short period.

I got a lot of local hermits from around Durban. Blue Eyed and the Yellow tip. Blue eye gets a bit bigger with one bigger white claw. About 30mm. Yellow tips are in my opinion reef safe at about 20mm.

4. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Thread Starter Wouter

I consulted my two oceans book and they are found in durban aswell, will keep posted on the hermits, they are sooo cute, and free!

5. maj

maj

keep me posted,i might go hermit hunting then.
    lets first see how ur inhabitants do

6. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

These are the only hermits i have in my tank.
    Collected most from Knysna area and a few from False bay. They do fine at tank temp and ive never had issues with them damaging corals.
    Only problems ive had is that the larger ones seem to get bored and eat my snails (since snails are also locally collected im not too bothered).

7. maj

maj

where do u collect ur snails from,false bay area aswell?
    Goin upto to mossel bay in december,can i collect fromt hose hermits and snails?

8. 459b

Get my snails from Blouburg. Had some for over two years now and they more than happy to be at higher temp.

The hermits youll find at mosselbay will be the same as the ones Deadmeat gets from false bay. Unless you look really really hard you can sometimes pick up the black and yellow legged ones at mosselbay.
    If you want the hermits urgently you can get thousands in strand/gordons bay area or check any of the tidal pools between muizenburg and cape point. The sand hermits are amazinf sand sifters as well. They tend to stick to the substrate and very seldom climb over corals.

9. maj

maj

Which would u say is best to get,falsebay side or muizenberg way out?
    Can very easily tell the wife to take a drive this wknd........just need to know which way would be best.

anythin i need to look out for like which to avoid or to look for

10. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Thread Starter Wouter

Just go to stand dude, check when low tide is in on google, there are million of the critters, also collected an orange sponge which seems to be surviving, but i agree with 459b, they are amazing sand sifters and really cool to watch, i have 10 in my sump now

11. 459b

rather go to strand, they alot easier to find there. They are in the tidla pools at St James, Simonstown etc, but there not as many there.
    We only get the one hermit crab in false bay, so if it looks like a hermit, it will be fine.

12. maj

maj

thanks guys!
    Strand it is

13. Noweeds

Noweeds

Hi guys, I have at least 10 local strand hermits in my tank......try to get them the same size othewise the bigger buys like to try on the smaller guys shells by ripping them out only to discover its not to cool in a smaller home and then swopping back.......it gets pretty brutal. I did collect one hermit in the strand that was a awesome reddish pink in colour but the other brown ones obviously hate a showoff and he lasted one night before he was assasinated!! Also only the big ones like rock climbing. The smaller ones tend to stay on the substrate.

14. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Low tide
    and
    watch those waves - do not turn your back. Nature wil punish you if you look away.:)

And take your permit with you - just in case.

15. maj

maj

im at strand now,lotsa hermits but are thye reef safe,they all green legs some look very evil with furry legs

16. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Take 5, and check them. If they do behave you can always get again.

And more than 5 will be too much to be on your DSB, abviously dependant on DSB size and hermit size.

17. SumthingFishy

SumthingFishy

I also have 5 local hermits and sumped there asses!
    The biggest one started to like the slime of the Nassarius snails and once he found the source of the slime, he went into a crazy frenzy and killed the one. Keep your eyes on them!

Recent Posts