Local Regulations

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
The 2nd link on recreation fishing has the lists on what you may not catch for an aquarium and it also lists all protected areas.

Regulations specific to marine aquarium fishing
(15) The holder of a recreational fishing permit endorsed for marine aquarium fish shall not catch, disturb, or land:
(a) any fish listed in Annexure 5;
(b) more than five fish per species;
(c) more fish than the bag-limit listed in respect of each species in species list of Annexure 6 during any one day;
(d) any fish smaller than, or of a mass less than, the size-limit listed in respect of each species in the Species List of Annexure 6;
(e) any fish during the closed-season listed in respect of each species in the Species List of Annexure 6.
(16) The holder of a recreational fishing permit endorsed for marine aquarium fish must:
(a) immediately transfer all fish caught in terms of this permit to a saltwater aquarium or holding facility of sufficient capacity to sustain the lives of the fish.
(b) keep a log-book indicating all additions to the aquarium (including those bred or hatched in the aquarium) and losses, indicating the species, origin, and cause of loss.

AQUARIUM FISH

Regulations governing the harvesting of aquarium recreational fishers.

1. A maximum of ten fish may be harvested per day.

2. A maximum of five fish per species, which have been collected, may be held in captivity.

3. The following species may not be caught.

Common name Scientific name of species or group

Hard corals Order Scleractinia
Sea fans Order Gorgonacea
Sea pens Order Pennatulacea
Sand dollars Echinodiscus spp.
Giant clams Tridacna spp.
Abalone Haliotis spp.
Rock lobsters Family Palinuridae
Seahorses and pipefish Family Syngnathidae
Coelacanth Latimeria chalumnae
Seventy four Polysteganus undulosus
Brindle bass Promicrops lanceolatus
Potato bass Epinephelus tukula
Natal wrasse Anchichoerops natalensis
Great white shark Charcarodon carcharias
Marine mammals
(seals, dolphins and whales) Class Mammalia
According to that list, apart from Sea Fans and Sea Pens, it would appear that, as long as you have the relevant permit, you may collect any soft corals from our waters, but not SPS or LPS as these are (in my opinion) both in the Hard Coral (Scleractinia) category. It also seems like you may collect invertebrates as well, excluding clams.

Reaction score
"(b) keep a log-book indicating all additions to the aquarium (including those bred or hatched in the aquarium) and losses, indicating the species, origin, and cause of loss."

Doubt anyone adheres to this :whistling:

Reaction score
"(b) keep a log-book indicating all additions to the aquarium (including those bred or hatched in the aquarium) and losses, indicating the species, origin, and cause of loss."

Doubt anyone adheres to this :whistling:
didnt know about this, but will try to do it, have a similiar thing anyway just so i know what came from where, may become tedious though eventually

Reaction score
true, but how would stuff like this be enforced? it doesnt say anything like this on my permit(if i'm not mistaken). but hey, guess its up to the individual
Correct, like my gun license doesn't say I am not allow to shoot at taxis :whistling:

Reaction score
true, but how would stuff like this be enforced? it doesnt say anything like this on my permit(if i'm not mistaken). but hey, guess its up to the individual
I think it does actually state thi, but like you say, who really reads the fine print these days.