Local Macro Algae/Sea weed

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Kunhardt, 19 Jan 2009.

1. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Are the various varieties of seaweed and macro algae we find in our local rock pools safe for our tanks as a food source for herbivores and just general tank decor? Some of them actually look quite nice.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

there are some that can be grown if aclimatised properly but in general its a no no... even bluefish grass can be successfully kept if its requirements are consistently met...

4. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

Is it a no no Les because we cant successfully keep them and they die? Or is a no no because the can be toxic to the system?

5. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

mostly because if the temperature required to keep our local algaes/seaweeds.. speaking specifically from the start of the EC lower Transkei to Cape town.. algaes /seaweeds collected further up would be better for our tropical systems... as for the toxins released due to reproduction i am not sure.. somebody who knows more on this area would have to comment..

6. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

I have successfully introduced a few Sargassums from the Cape south coast (Mosselbay area...) to my tropical matine tank when I started this hobby some 10 - 11 years ago, and they did not only survive, but actually grew into really nice, large plants over the next 2 years or so.

If you do try something similar, I would suggest that you collect the plant (on the rock it's growing on) from a smallish tide pool - the water in these pools can become quite warm, and plants (and many animals) from these pools are more likely to adapt to our earmer tank waters.

Hennie

Recent Posts