Local LR, legal or not, yes or no.

Discussion in 'Diving, Collecting and Environmental Discussions' started by magman, 4 Feb 2010.

1. magman

magman

Is local live rock legal to take? From what I understand, the answer amongst the forum is that it is taboo. I did ask the head of the local parkies here a year ago, and he did say yes, as long as it is loose, and you do not break it off, (He would not put this in writing for me)

I presume if you ever had to go to court, there would be a million loop holes, but where does it say you cannot touch LR from our reefs

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dane

Dane

South Africa has incredibly tough biodiversity laws. You are probably guilty of dozens of infringements right now, we all are. They just don't enforce them. This does however give them the power to invoke these infringements in court. So, as I understand it - yes, collecting live rock is illegal. Sorry but I am not intimately familiar with the legislation to cite exact passages...

4. Warr7207

Warr7207

I have looked at the marine collecting permit rules and regs. And there is nothing stated about LR collection. It may not be important as most of our coastline has rock not suitable for our tanks. You be better off getting a rock out your back garden :p

5. seank

seank

tagging

6. lIghty

lIghty

AFAIK its illegal to collect rock on our coast. I don't think its covered in the LMRA & MRB as I would imagine it falls under Mining act?

7. Warr7207

Warr7207

Mining :lol::lol:

Recent Posts