Local lawnmower blennie

Reaction score
I bought myself a copy of the two oceans book as Im planning a trip down to Margate to do some collecting for my aquarium.
However I cant find a positive id on Salarias fascaitus in the book. I take it its not a local fish.

Any suggestions as to the next best local (klipvissie) herbivore that could work as a lawnmower blennie?

Most of the ones should be good for algae, try and look for the rippled rockskipper, Istiblennius edentulus, they seem to be the best for algae IME. I have some Istiblennius chrysospilos from Maldives in my tank, and they are very hard working in terms of eating diatoms.

They can get quite big, some rock pools I've seen pairs in, and they were around 12cm each or so. Just make sure you have a cover on your tank, they are very prolific jumpers.

There are also Leopard Blennies, Exallias brevis, on some of the sps on kzn coast, but just leave them be if you ever see any, made that mistake once (even though I knew it was a corallivore), and it never ate anything before starving to death, felt horrible.

Back
Top Bottom