Local Inverts, can I keep em?

moz

Reaction score
Was going to go diving, but the water was to cold so I looked in rock pools instead, below are pics of some of the inverts I found. Can I keep them, are they reef safe, what are they?
228475c22220fb89.jpg

Snail

228475c226785628.jpg

Another Snail

RockPool04.jpg

Hermit and Shrimp

RockPool03.jpg

More hermits

I have one of those hermits, great for hair algea etc. My sister has some of those shrimp and they do well as well

Those hermits as far as i am concerned are a nuisance as they nock rocks and coral's over in my tank.

The shrimps are cool nice addition as they spawn like crazy when they happy, good food for everything.

Cool, the hermits and shrimp go in, luckily my rocks are to big for them to knock over, any idea on the snails, not great pics but best I could do?

Think they pretty good at munching cyno

Those snails are ok just pretty slow we do get a dwarf cockel that works really well almost as good as a turbo.

Only hassle with the snails is they like to climb out the tank and dry up.

I also caught the same shrimps recently. The spots on mine is pink/purplish and they seem to be very happy in the tank.

Shrimps are lousy everywhere but specially in the estuaries. They are actually quite pretty things particularly when they get big!

I have not tried the snails... wil be interesting to see how they handle higher temps...

Hi - right in the beginning when I started my FOWLR tanks (first the 300 litre - which I am setting up AGAIN), and the 2 metre - I used to have quite a few of these snails in the tank. They did an OK job of chowing the non-filamentous (slimey type) algae... They lasted about 4-6 months.....

Hey Moz - where exactly (and how) did you get the shrimps? I have only seen those shrimps up the Garden Route (closer to Hermanus' side of the coast)....

The shrimps are in every rock pool in Port Elizabeth, which is one end of the Garden Route.

Some feed back on the hermits, first the good news. I had what I thought were tufts of hair algae, they are now all gone, the bad news, how can an animal so small produce so much :shit:
On that note what eats hermit crab :shit:

Some feed back on the hermits, first the good news. I had what I thought were tufts of hair algae, they are now all gone, the bad news, how can an animal so small produce so much :shit:
On that note what eats hermit crab :shit:

Skimmers:lol:

Speaking of hermits and their pooh, where does it actually go, I mean their bum is in the shell 24/7 isn't it?

Back
Top Bottom