Article South African Marine Fish

I have been reading through a book that my daughter took out at her school library for me to read, shame, very thoughtful of her. The book is called Sea Fishes of Southern Africa, with most of the photo's by Dennis King, incidentally, did you know that the Tiger Angelfish - Apolemichthys kingi, a fish found ONLY on our coast line was discovered by and is named after Dennis King, pretty cool hey. I believe the price tag on one of these fish can reach up to R35 000.00 overseas.

Anyway, just thought I would share a bit of info and photo's of some of the awesome fish that the we get on our coastline, time to start diving I think :)

Spotted hawkfish - Cirrhitichthys oxycephalus

Cirrhitichthys_oxycephalus.jpg

Longnose hawkfish - Oxycirrhites typus

kudaGB.jpg

Sea goldies - Anthias squamipinnis

anthias_cs_trop.jpg

Yellowtail goldies - Anthias evansi

benntora.jpg

Jumping bean - Centropyge acanthops

ACANTHOPSsm_.jpg

Tiger angelfish - Apolemichthys kingi

image008.jpg

Threespot angelfish - Apolemichthys trimaculatus

346_2.jpg

Juvenile Emperor angelfish

Pomacanthus-imperator-juv1.jpg

Adult Emperor angelfish - Pomacanthus imperator

Pomacanthus-imperator.jpg

Last edited:
Any way the mods might clean this thread up and just have the pics of local fish and their names up here. Just read thru all the pages and there are really a lot of posts that have absolutely nothing to do with the local fish.And can we add some more pics to this thread....Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :biggrin:
Bump

Those with predator tanks can get some beautiful fish along our coast.

I live in east london and go snorkeling in summer with my little underwater camera.
ive seen lion fish just to mention 1
and im not sure if many people have tried this but a rock cod juvenile is amazing in a tank with its color changing. Proper ones , not the little snake looking ones in the rock pools.
I have also had a small cuttlefish that i let go in a local diving spot and a couple months later i dived there again and witnessed what i assumed was the same cuttlefish but it had found a mate, they were swimming around together and it was amazing to see

Hey guys got a clown tang of limestone last saturday, need an ID on this other guy i netted. Will post pic now

This is the fish i need an ID on.. thought it was a juvenile golden kingfish but body shape and positioning of the black bars does not seem the same.

snapshot_001-1.jpg

459b you are spot on correct ! Thanx for the ID man was scratching my head for a week wondering what it was. Can out my mind to rest now lol. TaahirS thanx bud im glad to have joined masa.

Back
Top Bottom