local cuc

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by Wesd, 22 Apr 2013.

1. Wesd

Wesd

Hello all, i hope this is the right spot for this thread.

So my tank has finished cycling and now i need to start adding livestock, I want the livestock to be completely local, i have the fish covered but would like some info with regards to selecting the best local inverts as there are so many. So basically the best species, the best spots to get them and how many i will need. Ive done a lot of reading but havnt found much on local stuff. The tank is 200L, has some zoa frags and a tubastrea (sun coral) frag as well (this is the only thing that isnt local), might be adding more soft corals later on. As for the fish i will slowly stock as i catch. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance :)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kevin34PE

Kevin34PE

Hermit crabs are linearly every rock pool. Add one or three of them.

4. Wesd

Wesd Thread Starter

i know there are lots in the rock pools but i would like to know if there are any specific types?

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Hermits, go for the yellow tip hermits. they do not grow that big and they are in every rock pool.

Snails, Nerita snails are good. But you need to help them up if you see one upside down on the sand. And with their shall shape, they always land on their back. Always. Just leave the white variety alone. They climb out to high above the high water mark. Same in your system. Problem, is that with spring tide they find their way back to the water splashes that is lacking in your system.

Small turbo coronatus snails are also good. they can eventually grow to golf ball size. But that is a couple of years growth.

If you can find any Strombidae snails, they are nice. But do not confuse them with conus snails. Conus, leave alone.

Short spine sea urchin, especially smaller juveniles. Do not take any tuxedo, they are more likely to cause rock falls. Long spine urchins, they are good, but really up to you if you want them in your system.

zak and Wesd like this.
  6. Wesd

Wesd Thread Starter

thanks a lot RiaanP thatis exactly the sort of info i was looking for :D , are there also any local shrimps that could help do the job while adding to the aesthetics of the tank and if so where would be the best places to look for them? :)

7. Wesd

Wesd Thread Starter

bump, any local shrimps????

8. brentch

brentch

There are a few local shrimps... The "cleaner shrimp" type we here are the skunk cleaner (Lysmata amboinensis) and the Coral Banded cleaner (Stenopus hispidus). You rarely get the skunk cleaner in rock pools, usually caught on scuba. You can get the Coral banded in most large rockpools, under ledges. I have heard stories of these guys getting aggressive as they get larger, and have been known to chomp small fish......

You can also find the Camel shrimp (Rhynchocinetes durbanensis) with the skunk cleaners, but they do graze on soft corals.

9. Wesd

Wesd Thread Starter

ok thanks Brentch :thumbups:

10. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

The local glass shrimps (Palaemon) are pretty good scavengers. Look in high sandy rockpools with some cover. Easiest to just run a net along the ledges, because they're tricky to spot.

11. Wesd

Wesd Thread Starter

ok thanks a lot LB, i often see them so i will grab some when i do :thumbups: . I also heard from Edge (we were speaking on SARK last night) that you are the man to speak to about finding and collecting some softies around Durbs (any help with that would be greatly appreciated) ;)

12. Dorry

Dorry dorry

Wesd, there is a river near Hillcrest got plenty of the glass shrimps. I use the swimming pool net to catch them.

13. Fred d

Fred d

Same as the shrimps I inhereted

14. Wesd

Wesd Thread Starter

to be perfectly honest i would rather get them from rockpools, just dont trust the rivers, they're not that difficult to find :)

15. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

And the river ones are freshwater...

16. Wesd

Wesd Thread Starter

well theres that to :lol: haha. LB since you are the master of ids ;) i have a whole bunch of tiny little white spots swimming along my glass and they absolutely demolished a big patch of algae on the glass over night (not complaining about that), any idea what they are? (i thought maybe little amphipods or something). I would post a pic but even on the macro setting they still just show up as tiny little white spots.

17. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

Probably copepods.

18. Wesd

Wesd Thread Starter

the thing is they just dont seem like any cope ive seen before (unless they are newly hatched or something, but i havnt seen them that small and i havnt seen any adults in the tank)

19. Dorry

Dorry dorry

The ones i catch in the river is for my trigger fish. The once from the rock pools in the other tanks. I went today for sea stars for harlequin shrimps, got i few. Whether :p. going tomorrow rock pool hop.

20. Wesd

Wesd Thread Starter

well hopefully those shrimps work and goodluck for the puddle hop :)

Recent Posts