Local Crabs & Stuff

AndreT

Retired Moderator
Sponsor
Reaction score
Hi Gys,

I was just wondering if it is legal to take crabs and other inverts from our local waters. I mean, they are so accessible, much cheaper than buying from LFS.

Jacques for interest sake, what is the limit?

i have an invert permit which allows certain crabs - such as hermits - i think it says 10kgs a day. an aquarium fish permit also allows certain fish species - again up to 10kgs a day.

the invert permit does not allow for free swimming crabs and shrimps.

i will look for the policy and try and post it - it says what can and cannot be collected with a permit - or you could just go to a post office and collect the forms there which also give the info. It is the same form as the fishing permit but you have to tick the marine aquarium or invert section depending what you want to collect - i collected zoas from the durban rock pools on my invert permit as it is allowed

Thanks Shan. Very helpful post!

Although 10KG's of inverts seem like a mighty load if you only collect crabs or anemones.

ok here is some law

Marine Living Resources act, 1998 (Act no. 18 of 1998 ).

(18 ) The holder of a recreational fishing permit endorsed for marine aquarium fishing shall not engage in fishing for, or be in possession of:

(a) any fish listed in the prohibited species list of Anexure 9;
(b) more than five fish per species, or more fish than the bag-limit listed in respect of each species in the permitted species list of Annexure 7 during any one day, whichever is the lesser quantity (Annexure 7 is a list of angling fish, minimum sizes and bag limits).​
(19) The holder of a recreational fishing permit endorsed for marine aquarium fishing shall:
(a) immediately transfer all fish caught on the authority of this permit to a saltwater aquarium or saltwater holding facility of sufficient capacity to sustain the lives of the fish;
(b) keep a log-book indicating all additions to the aquarium (including those bred or hatched in the aquarium) and losses, indicating the species, origin and cause of loss.​
Annexure 9 ? Prohibited species.

Hard corals (Order Scleractinia)
Sea fans (Order Gorgonacea)
Sea pens (Order Pennatulacea)
Sand dollars (Echinodiscus spp.)
Giant clams (Tridacna spp.)
Abalone (Haliotus midae)
Rock lobsters (Family Palinuridae)
Seahorses and pipefish Family Syngnathidae
Coelacanth (Latimeria chalumnae)
Seventy four (Polysteganus undulosus)
Brindle bass (Promicrops lanceolatus)
Potato bass (Epinephelus tukula)
Natal wrasse (Anchichoerops natalensis)
Great white shark (Charcarodon carcharias)
Marine mammals
(seals, dolphins and whales, Class Mammalia)

In addition there is more fine print on the lower part of the permit:

NOTE:
2. No more than 10kg Aquatic Plants and 10 Aquarium Fish shall be collected per day.

GENERAL PERMIT CONDITIONS:
4. Fish caught or collected in terms of this permit may not be sold, bartered or traded.

Thanks guys, ok how do I interperate it?

kanga - i will look for my permit and tell you what is written on it tomorrow - but in the mean time, if you go past a post office stop in and ask them for the forms (fishing permit forms) - its free - where you have to tick what permit you want to buy, there are explanations of each category - you are looking for the aquarium fish permit and the invert permit.

DEAT

15 Hermits a day they say Page 10

Last edited:
BTW what do these permits cost?

I got stopped by the parks board on the weekend while on the hunt for species.:nono:

They asked me for a permit but luckily I didn't have anything in my possession, need to buy one this week!!!:006:

Andreas I know they are pretty cheap, something like R30 a year or so but wait for the other guys to confirm

Here's the correct price:
R75 for each of the options chosen (ie, R75 for fish collection, R75 for inverts, and R75 for SCUBA diving in MPA's)....
That's yearly. If you only want one for a month, then it is R40 for each category chosen.

Kewl Thanks Jacques, more expensive than I thought but still dirt cheap

it is well worth it - i have saved much with just my invert permit

i am going back to durbs in April/May so will use my permit to do more collecting

Back
Top Bottom