Local coral

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Snoek, 11 Dec 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snoek

Snoek

Hi all.
    I live in Cape Town and would love to know why we dont see more of our local coral for sale in lfs?
    Local is lekker but why do we not have a section dedicated on the forum to educate reefers about what can be found in our waters? Personally I would love to collect local sps and zoas but as far as I have been informed its ilegal to collect or sell local corals.
    Can anyone help me with some information where to get hold of colourful sps and zoas from SA waters?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

illegal to collect any hard coral in South Africa.

Sounds like nice idea. But nope.

and then you are not allowed to sell anything you collected with your license.

4. Snoek

Snoek Thread Starter

If anyone has any local zoas or sps please let me know. I will pay for the coffee I drink;)

5. SteveZi

SteveZi

Why are you specifically looking for local species?

6. Snoek

Snoek Thread Starter

I am trying to create I look of a reef to resemble our waters in the north of durban. I also want to understang the set groth rates of our coral. Once that is understood I want to add fish that will naturally swim around it.

7. SteveZi

SteveZi

so what would be the specific species you are looking for?

ps keep in mind that hard corals are protected, you would need a special permit to collect any Scleractinia.

Last edited: 11 Dec 2013
  8. Snoek

Snoek Thread Starter

Like I said, I am looking for zoas and sps.

9. Istio

Istio

Small polyp stony coral (sps), Order: Scleractinia. Unfortunately not allowed to collect/trade from local waters. Several KZN guys keeping locally collected zoanthids.

10. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

And SPS are hard corals...which are illegal to take...

11. Snoek

Snoek Thread Starter

Sharing is caring

12. Istio

Istio

lol, wish i could help bud. Sadly out of die land for the foreseeable future.

13. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Guys.
    It is illegal to collect any hard corals

Further, go and read the permit.
    You are not allowed to sell, trade, give away, donate any livestock collected. The permits are there to protect our coast. Prevent guys from taking 1000 hermits and selling them for R50 each.

So no matter how sincere the idea of this thread is on creating a SA type of reef tank. You can collect only things for yourself.

Technically, you also need to kill all the stock once you break down the tank, 2 years or whatever time later. Not supposed to reintroduce anything that did came into contact with any other imported livestock. In case you are the culprit who release some new sickness into our coastline.

14. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I do not like this part at all. Its not the Convict tang fault that you caught him, kept him for a year and now want to pack up, or realized that he is too big for your nano. Why must he be killed.

I do think that if you do have proof that you did care for the animal for 6 months at least, or a year. That you should be able to pass it on to another reefer / home. At a price? not sure. But if somebody have a Gem tang since 5cm size, cared for it 2 years, do you expect him to give it away for free? that is a bit open for discussion.

But even with this relaxation, to be able to pass it on later, especially then if money comes into play. We will have guys totally screwing this system again. Claiming the hermit you got yesterday is the same one as in a year ago tank picture. So yes, there will still be guys that will abuse the process, collect and sell locally caught animals.

As soon as money gets involve, it will always be abused by some few individuals that mess things up totally for the other guys. What will be the end result. No more permits at all and a blanket ban?

And do not say that cannot happen. Look at the ban around cars on the beach. For years we had it coming. Years we said we will stay below high tide mark. Yet we still had the few misfits that destroyed sand dunes with their quadbikes and 4x4. End result, no more vehicles on the beach for anybody.

And lastly.
    Keep in mind that this is an open forum.
    Department of agriculture and forestry can also check out MASA. and other forums. And they can see you guys bragging on what you collected. Every week. Be sure your permits is right and that you do play by the rules.

15. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Due to the legal implications, let us rather close this thread

Recent Posts