Lobster tank

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Mtroboer, 8 Aug 2008.

1. Mtroboer

Mtroboer

Hi guys, my Debelius reef lobster suddenly developed a taste for fish! I like him way too much to give him away so I decided that maybe I must build him a tank of his own. The tank would hold 216L before LR, so I'm going to run my old Jebo skimmer on it till I get a bargain TS, go MH on my reef and put the T5's on this tank. I will run a 2000Lph return and a 5000Lph cls. This is my planned tank design, size is due to a stand I allready own.

[​IMG]

Seeing as this guy likes fish will it be possible that he will also go for a Blue Ribbon or Snowflake Eel? What do you guys think about the design?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

looks very cool man
    dont think the lobster has a chance with a eel, but i'm not a eel expert

4. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Great idea, snowflake eels are the most reefsafe, may get a bit big for the tank though, i like the idea of an invert tank though.

5. Mtroboer

Mtroboer Thread Starter

Thanks guys, Wee-Man which species of fish do you think would be able to strand their ground around the lobster while comfortable in this size tank? Would I be wrong in saying that most inverts would be safe though?

6. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

The Debelius' Reef Lobster, also known as the Purple/Orange Reef Lobster, has a white to lavender body, with orange and violet spots. The elongated, flat claws which are used for threats and defense may be purple, as well. An ideal environment should have a thick gravel bed for burrowing, and rocks for hiding, as well as live rock on which to hunt. After molting, the Reef Lobster will need a secure hiding place, such as a cave, while it waits for its new exoskeleton to harden. The cave can be designed so that the lobster can be seen during the day, but it usually will spend most of the daylight hours hiding from the light. It prefers to scavenge and hunt at night. The Reef Lobster is described as peaceful, and it will ignore sleeping Wrasses or healthy fish within the aquarium. It may harm small fish and invertebrates. All Reef Lobsters are very territorial and aggressive towards each other, so only one specimen, or a mated pair should be kept per tank. It is sensitive to high levels of copper-based medications.
    Most of the diet will consist of food it scavenges, but supplementing with iodine-rich foods will help ensure proper molting.

Copied from here ;- Debelius' Reef Lobster (Enoplometopus debelius)

They are amoung the more reefsafe lobsters, but like all crabs they are opportunistic, healthy fish, maroon clowns perhaps, might be ok, just nothing Goboid or slow moving, some hermits like the blue knuckle would be ok.

viper357 likes this.
  7. Mtroboer

Mtroboer Thread Starter

The bugger ate my Yellow Watchman and Fire gobies! Ok so here is my thinking, the lobster a snowflake eel and a dwarf lion, would this combo be ok?

8. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

and you can buy my green brisle star his to big for my tank, and also eats fish(predator), but i think your tank is to small for him:(

9. Mtroboer

Mtroboer Thread Starter

Yip, its a bit small!

10. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

I think the snowflakes are escape artists, but i can't find where i read that.. BRB:)

11. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

i had two snowflakes in my tank, and i had glass covers,one escaped became biltong and i sold the other one to the petshop

if u close the top and sump, then you won't have a problem with them

12. Mtroboer

Mtroboer Thread Starter

They can and will escape given the chance! The LFS got one in stock the other day and found it on the floor the next morning, apparently he tried to surf through the overflow and got the directions a bit wrong.

13. Mtroboer

Mtroboer Thread Starter

Definately going to go with a covered system. My other option is a Dwarf lion, the lobster and two or three of the smaller butterflies.

14. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

sounds nice:thumbup:

15. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

The smaller butterflys - the centropyge (dwarf) species would be very aggressive to each other in a system that size.

16. Falcon

Falcon

:p how about some triggers?small ones obviously.....

Recent Posts