Loach death

Discussion in 'Fresh Water Tanks Discussion' started by Anmare, 13 Dec 2007.

1. Anmare

Anmare

My weather loach died about 2 weeks ago. I can't seem to find answers so I would like to pick your brains. He was fine, being his happy self. Out of the blue the next day he developed large white marks all over his skin, he became very active for a while, swimming around furiously. Then I noticed he went quiet and breathing heavily, laying on the gravel. I isolated him and treated him with anti ich. The next morning he died and I noticed blood coming from his gills. None of the other gold fish or my aquatic frog showed any signs of distress.

Hope you can help me!

Anmaré

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Welcome to the forum Anmaré

Do you by any chance have a photo of the fish? Could have been ich or perhaps a fungus, where the white marks dots or more like patches?

4. Kanga

Kanga Retired Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome To MASA

Yes a Photo would help, could be gill fluke.

5. Anmare

Anmare Thread Starter

Hi Viper, the marks were more like patches. He was 2 years old, same age as the tank. I don't have a photo of him while he was sick, only healthy looking photos. I was a bit worried for the other fish and the frog but they seem to be totally unaffected. The blood coming out of his mouth had me seriously distressed. I cried for the little fellow's suffering. He was quite a character. I'll try uploading photos so you can see him and the frog, they were best buddies. The loach was also quite a poser. I have the sweetest photos of him posing about.

6. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Photo's would be great, show us all of your tank.

Sorry to hear about your loss, but I think Kanga is right, sounds like Gill fluke.

7. Kanga

Kanga Retired Moderator MASA Contributor

I know its errible to sit and watch them die like that.

As you go the more you know the better you can prevent it, and althought this is primarily a saltwater forum there most of us had FW at some stage and are only to happy to help.

Yes sounds like fluke but would have to see a picture

Would love to see some pictures of him before, they are great characters:)

What are your water parameters like? PH nitate and nitrite?

8. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Anmare - and howzit again guys!

Anmare - do you add salt to your fresh-water at all?

Otherwise - except for that - did you notice any scratching behaviour? How did the fish eat, until you saw the white blotches started appearing?

9. Anmare

Anmare Thread Starter

Hi Everyone,

Kanga, I don't know the water parameters, the tank was cleaned a week before he died.

I didn't notice any scratching behaviour. The only strange behaviour was him swimming around a lot more actively, which he normally didn't do to that extend.

Hi Jacquesb, yes, I do add salt to the water. He ate fine, he had his helping of bloodworm the morning.

10. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Could the tank cleaning have had anything to do with it? Possibilities to consider:
    • The quality of the water-change water could have been different from what the fish was used to (higher pH, chlorine, etc.) causing stress and/or secondary infection.
    • If you use glass wool in your filter, it is quite possible that a glass fragment could have lodged in a gill. This would cause great irritation (causing rapid swimming) and bleeding of the gill, which could come out through the mouth.
    • The white blotched areas could be bruising from bumping into objects whilst dashing around the tank. It could also be a sign of fish tuberculosis or of a sporozoan infection.
    • The white blotched areas could also be a secondary parasitic infection, such as Chilodonella (which also causes gill bleeding in serious cases).
    Possible parasite (fluke) introduced with the Bloodworm?

I'm sorry this is not more specific, but it's really impossible to tell what the actual cause was, not having examined the fish.

Hennie

viper357 likes this.
Recent Posts