Liv's TL550

Discussion in 'Boyu TL450 and TL550 advice' started by liv, 15 Feb 2015.

1. liv

liv

Hi guys... New here (and to Marine Tanks), and got into it 'cos of a few friends... I was lucky enough to be given a Boyu TL550 to kick off my journey, and have tons of plans...

First up was a cleanup of the tank. Used some RO and a little vinegar with filter media to basically give it a good clean out. performed about 3 rinses on it, and left it out in the sun for a bit. after a week of standing, it should be ready for cycling as soon as I get a few things sorted.

1. Lights - the original unit was replaced with LED which the previous owner kept - was toying with the idea of building a fibreglass housing within the hood and then getting a perspex cover made for some LED's, but then i cam across this and am considering getting a set if it is good enough for the TL550: ZetLight Nano Series

2. Bioballs and Carbon for filtering

3. Powerhead

4. Heater

5. Substrate

6. Small Liverock

I have quite a bit of baserock that I received with the tank. I am busy with some aquascaping to try my hand at it - basically using some Pratley Putty to stick them together to make nice tunnels. I also got come coprox to paint the rocks with as my theme to start is charcoal/black rock (and probably some reef rock to add to it) with white sand. Also building the rocks up to support the corals I would like to add in over time rather than to figure out where to place everything when I get it.

Will upload pics of my progress so far..

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

Welcome to masa and reefkeeping!

You might want to look at upgrading the skimmer too. The tunze 9004 is a great skimmer.

Post some pics.:thumbup:

Read the links in my signature too.

4. JS

JS

Welcome. Off to a good start. The standard skimmer is perfectly fine...just take your time in setting it up and it will pull out more gunk than any replacement. My tl550 ran 3 years plus with it and new owner still runs it..so it works just fine. If you can...rather fit leds to the hood...as when you remove the hood to use something like the zetlight you will have to worry about fish jumping out and also evaporation will be a biaatch...

Post pics.

5. liv

liv Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies guys...

re: skimmer - gonna run the stock one for a bit. Considering upgrading what I can over time, as long as I can transfer it to a larger tank at some point.

re: lights - definitely don't want to run sans hood. With a 3.5 year old at home, no hood is definitely a no - not to mention the other benefits. Still doing research to see if i can run the Zetlights within the hood (the old lights were removed from the hood already by the previous owner). I see that it comes shipped with the stand loose from the lights, so I guess the biggest issue is if i can secure it to the hood and it does not need any air circulation to cool it down etc.

Some pics:

Cleaning up:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Moved into its new location:

[​IMG]

Aquascaping stage 1:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stage 1 Complete - Busy setting now:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After about 4 hours - its already set - but will give it another 24 hours before I start with the paint. I've already cleaned up the setup of loose dirt and dead algae. Will mix up coprox tomorrow and then give it 2 coats.

Will also try to get some substrate tomorrow, set that, then add the rock. Next up will be to get the powerhead and heater installed, then neaten up the install.

Thereafter its Lights, Water and some live reef rock if i can find some to get it up and running.

6. Barracuda

Barracuda

Welcome to MASA. :thumbup:funky rockwork there. Those zetlights looks cool, would love to see if they fit, seems like the perfect retrofit on a tl550. Good luck

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

8. liv

liv Thread Starter

thanks guys. added some red-sea white substrate today. Just need to get time to get the base rock the right colour, and then find the right lights. Right now, will even settle for a stock Boyu setup if i can find one just to get up and running as I research some LED's

9. red deacon

red deacon

Hey Liv welcome to MASA and reefing! The TL550 is an awesome little setup and a perfect starter unit as an introduction to the hobby. I had one and it gave me much pleasure before I upgraded to a larger setup recently.

Some thoughts for you to be aware of based on my experience. Because the unit carries a relatively small amount of water it can suffer from fairly radical temperature fluctuations. I notice from your photos that the tank is situated in an area that may receive sunshine ( could be sun shining through vertical blinds ). Be aware that most corals ( if you plan to add ) and some fish are intolerant of these temperature fluctuations and may be affected. This is particularly a problem in the summer months. In my case my temperature rose to 30 degrees and caused havoc amongst my coral because of this. The resulting die off caused spikes in my water parametres leading to a loss of some fish. It wasn't a pleasant experience at all. If you can accomodate a chiller into your system I believe it will be money well spent.

In terms of LED lighting, I was fortunate enough to own the standard LED unit and found these lights were more than adequate for the system with decent coral growth experienced. There are sponsors on the forum who sell these as separate items, and pending price, may be worth investing in.

Enjoy your system!

Recent Posts