Liverock

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by johannes rall, 21 Mar 2011.

1. johannes rall

johannes rall

What would you guys think will 16kg of liverock be enough for a 250L tank its got alot of live on it like pods and featherworms and other thing i dont know

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jaquesdp08

jaquesdp08

That should be enough to start the tank and do the initial 4-6 week cycle, you can always add more liverock later..

4. Annoying

Annoying

More is better, I would say 16 kg is not enough for a 250 tank, but again this is all up to what you would like to keep in the end. For a reef I would recommend a lot more, but the average tank wit a few lps and softies then it will work fine. If you don't have enough money for more, try buying base rock or make DIY rock as this is a lot cheaper and in about a year it's 90% live rock. If you are happy with the scaping and you don't want more rock I would recommend a DSB as this gives a great surface for more bacteria to grow and other creatures to live in. Just my thoughts.

5. chops

chops

Hey bud 16kg is a bit little but it depends on your scape u like to do

6. Dane

Dane

I gotta disagree with you here annoying. Base rock is called such because it is of a lesser standard than high quality rock such as fiji etc. Its is more dense and less porous - so there is less intersticial spaces for bacteria and microfauna to colonise. DIY rock is generally even less so - both of these are usually used only to raise the height of the scape - not to provide much extra filtration. They will not become better at filtration over time - only their surface will become covered in corraline etc.

If you can get "dead" rock and add it to a tank, thats fine - but it should still be as high quality and porous as possible. As Annoying has said, this dead rock will be colonised by the live rock in your tank over time. The more high quality live rock you can stick in your tank, the better.

7. johannes rall

johannes rall Thread Starter

If I add more LIVEROCK after the cycle has been run wouldnt the cycle start over again

8. jaquesdp08

jaquesdp08

No, Depends on where and what liverock you get ? and how long the liverock has been in the tank.. but the initial cycle will be fine to run 16KG

9. johannes rall

johannes rall Thread Starter

If it comes from the LFS

10. Annoying

Annoying

The main thing when you buy new rock after the cycle is that it's should be fully cured. You should ask the pet shop if the rock is cured, and then buy accordingly. You can cure the rocks if you want separately in a container with pump and heater for a few weeks. No matter how cured the rock is there will always be die off when you take it from the shop to your house, it could cause a mini cycle and by mini I mean just a few spots of algae but most likely it's gone after a few days.

11. Tremayn

Tremayn

You will need about 25kg of live rock in your tank.. The thing with "live" rock, is that when you buy it, it has gone through so much that its barely alive unless you buy it from someones tank and it has been in there for a while

12. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

i think it comes down to what you want to achieve and how quickly you want to achieve it, i have started all my tanks with very little live rock (approx 6-9kgmax) and alot of dead base rock collected from the sea and cured/ weathered prior to its use

i stock sllowly and ass the rock matures, i also rely heavily on skimming and i like big waterchanges.

the rock we buy as "live" refers more to the bacteria that it transports than anything else, copeods and other "life" forms are a real bonus and even in small numbers will blim in the absence of a predator during the maturation process.

so yes 16kg can be enough provided you can scape suffieciently for the fish/coral you want to keep and you dont load the system prematurley.

im my experience we are not honest with ourselfves wrt patience and i would urge you to add a little more ;)

Recent Posts