liverock fully cured or semi ???

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by roderigo, 30 May 2011.

1. roderigo

roderigo

Hi guys just need some advice should I use semi cured ( all die off is gone) or fully cured ( rock that is boiled and re seeded with bacteria). The semi curd has more diversity and looks nice but can have bad things on the rock like pest that I don't what will the other one has no pest but no diversity at all what should I go for

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. archiecrain

archiecrain

Are you adding it to a new system that you are going to run a full cycle with?

I would go the semi cured rock if you are....I would go the well cured rock if adding to a running system....well thats my opinion

4. roderigo

roderigo Thread Starter

Yep new set up 240 ltr DT and 100ltr dsb sump with cheato on top

5. roderigo

roderigo Thread Starter

And what is o good way to seed my dsb not only with bacteria but all the critters that live in the sand?

6. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

fully cured liverock means the liverock has undergone its cycling and has no more die off. Liverock that is boiled (ie dead) is usually sold as base rock.
    I wouldnt buy expensive liverock and then boil it. Good liverock will come wit ha host of organisms, including bacteria, sponges, algaes, various bivalves, fan worms etc etc. You wont get near the amount of diversity if you use dead rock seeded with bacteria.
    If you are concerned with introducing pests into your tank, then i would recommend using base rock (look at caribseas stuff) or ask a good LFS if they have dry liverock for you. Then seed your tank with a few smaller pieces of top quality liverock (buy small pieces so checking for pests is easier).
    My personal opinion is to go the dry rock route. You can sleep easier at night knowing you havent introduced any pests. Also allows you more time to scape casue you dont have to worry about the rock drying out and dying.
    ONly downside is that it takes ages for creatures to grow on the rock.

get a cup of mature sand out a fellow reefers DSB

Last edited: 30 May 2011
  7. roderigo

roderigo Thread Starter

What. Should I look for pest wise any tips thanx for the info

8. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Look out for crabs, shrimp, snails, flatworms, nudibranchs, nuisance algae like bryopsis etc. Ill update if i can think of more.

9. roderigo

roderigo Thread Starter

Ok cool will do that gane use NSW and cured live rock as for the pests will just have to deal with them as needed is there a artical on masa that has pics so I know what I'm lookin for pests wise thanx for all the help

10. Elrond

Elrond

roderigo - just to emphasize... I bought some LR, put it in Iodine dip for the required 10 minutes and then placed it in my tank. I've recently (4 months later) discovered a total of 5 crabs of varying sizes within my system. If I would redo this process, I think I'd quarantine them and space them far apart and monitor for a period to see what's alive and what's not. The drama to get rid of the pests later is ongoing...

11. roderigo

roderigo Thread Starter

Guess ill do the same bud you can't get the good with out the bad lol

Recent Posts