Live stock mix Ive started with?

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by killer, 5 Jun 2008.

1. killer

killer

Howzit. I started a tank recently and have slowly added a few things. Started with 2 small clowns, starfish, 2 hermit, 2 turbo snails and a small starfish. Yesterday I bought a cleaner ras, (blue and black) after being advised in LFS. Last night I couldnt find him and thought he died, so read up in my book about him. IT STATES THAT THEY ARE FISH TO STAY AWAY FROM AT ALL COSTS??? This morning he reappeared, which was cool....but are they cool? Brendan Advise on the next few fish I should get taking into consideration I will be keeping soft coral.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Warr7207

Warr7207

The cleaner wrasse don't normally do well in captivity so be prepared.

Your next fish will depend on how big your tank is and how old ?

4. lindsay pollard

lindsay pollard pipefish

howzit brendan i also had a cleaner and it died after about 2 months,they reackon it needs parasites to feed on off other fish.maybe the gurus can elaborate a bit more,personally i wont get another.

5. Warr7207

Warr7207

Also this species is really being wiped out in the wild so, really tell every and anyone to rather leave in the sea.

[​IMG]

6. seank

seank

Thanks Warren, interesting read

7. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Cleaner wrasse are excellent fish to have in a marine setup.they really help in removing parasites from other fish.it is sad though that alot just die.the cleaners that i found to be be hardy are our local guys.

8. killer

killer Thread Starter

375ltr display with 90ltr sump. Only 3 weeks old!! got lots of live rock and my water has been awesome since the beginning. Nitrites none existent from the beginning, pH and salinity 100%. Been quite lucky. What goby's should I get to filter the aragonite? What other fish are hardy and pretty to start with?

9. Mekaeel

Hi Brendan,when you say your Ph and Salinity are 100%,what exactly are the readings?
    jawfish are excellent sand sifters also they are pretty hardy.

10. Warr7207

Warr7207

Great fish to start with:

Bi-Clour Blenny / Midas Blenny
    Chromis
    Clownfish
    Coral Baeuty
    Hawkfish
    Firefish

Remember not all at once !

11. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Brendan - just to clear things up about the cleaner wrasse.
    Most of the cleaner's we receive are still small - they have extremely small and specialized mouth designs, which only allows them to eat a certain type of food. The bigger cleaners are more likely to survive, because their mouths are bigger, and they can take bigger food. They also adapt easier to eating either frozen or even flake food (crushed)....

So - newly imported marine fish are usually starved for a few days (to a week) before being shipped, so the fish mostly land here in SA already malnutrioned.... And without decent food they mostly die within a short period of times...

12. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

heard an interestin stat tove the weekend..apparantly of all the marine fish caught for the pet trade, only 2% will survive.

13. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

459b - I will easily believe this. It is actually a VERY sad state of affair..... I just wish that the people who catch these fish, can do something (I dunno - perhaps feed them longer?? keep them longer to strengthen/acclimatize? I dunno) to make the changes of survivability much higher...... BUT fact is - these poor animals are subjected to the worst of stresses..... and as far as I know, starved as well (not fed - else they poop in the bags they are shipped in - this alone becoming toxic, and they are "drugged" with CO2 as well)..... And then man-handled most likely, either at the source or perhaps at the importer/LFS?

14. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

the obvious answer is to start breeding them. Ive brought this up with some LFS but they claim they have agreements with fish collectors and cannot now buy from breeders. The market in this country isnt big enough to make full scale farming profitable. A good start would be educating people on what fish not to touch (like moorish idols, cleaner wrasses etc) and thus stop their import.

15. killer

killer Thread Starter

What should I try feed him to keep his alive?

16. Mekaeel

try marine mix (frozen seafood) or artemia.

17. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

I have only ever bought 1 cleaner wrasse and that was over a year ago, so they can survive in a tank. I must just be lucky. I mainly feed Hikari marine s and blended shrimp.

Recent Posts