Live Rocks with algea problems

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by vatso, 25 Jan 2010.

1. vatso

vatso

Hi there

I have some live rocks with algea on them - the long grass type

would it be okay if I took them out & scrubbed them in the old water from my next water change & then put them back?

What I am worried about is if they have to re cycle? I don't want to take a chance I harm the fish in the tank

whats the best way to do this? Clean the rocks?

thanks Mark

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Hi Vatso,

It would help for the algae in the short-term, but it might also lead to a reduced water quality in the short-term - due to both some inevitable die-off in/on the rock, and the fact that you're removing a (at this point in time) large biological filter, the growing algae...

I would rather suggest that you hand-harvest some of the algae whilst in the tank, and look at better controlling/exporting of nutrients in the long term. Feed less, skim more aggressively, remove all bio-balls, noodles, etc if you have any in the tank (and the same goes for canister filters, UG filters, etc), run a remote DLSB if you don't have one in the DT, run a phosphate filter... I think you get the idea... Oh, and only use RO water which you regularly test, to ensure that it still works well (<3ppm). Also ensure that your alkalinity remains above 8, if possible.

Hennie

4. vatso

vatso Thread Starter

Thanks Hennie

I have no bio balls & stuff like that!

I just have the water from the skimmer go through a sponge which I clean every other day

I need a Sump it seems!!!! hell I so did not want one Grrrr

I have been taking algea & grass off the rocks!

I will continue doing so every day with the pumps off!

also how do you know if you feeding to much? also how do I reduce phosphates? will vodka do that? I don't have space for a filter needs to be a chemical

My RO water tests at 2

5. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Yes Mark. It would be OK to scrub them. Just as long as you don't let them get dried out.

Then they would not cause another cycle.....

BUT, if you have GHA (green hair algae) growing ON your rocks.... then you MOST likely have some (or a lot) of detritus INSIDE the rocks, leaching the phosphates/nitrates that is feeding the GHA....

Try the following: use either a turkey baster, or a loose power-head, and blow over these rocks where you have the GHA growing...... you SHOULD see a lot of white "dust" go into the water column (this would be the detritus)....

If so - you should repeat this step multiple times a day, every day, for quite a few days...... This should be constant and often practice....

6. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Do what I do - buy some GFO (Rowaphos or similar (very expensive...)), cut a leg off a pantyhose, place the GFO in the leg, and tie it to the outlet of the skimmer, so that the water falls through the GFO. Just rinse the GFO well before use.

It could, but I would not use vodka until your tank has a low nutrient level - at this stage it will cause more harm than good.

Hennie

7. vatso

vatso Thread Starter

where does one get GFO? LFS

thanks by the way for all the help

8. AndrévN

AndrévN

also how do you know if you feeding to much? also how do I reduce phosphates? will vodka do that? I don't have space for a filter needs to be a chemical

My RO water tests at 2[/QUOTE]

Eish please leave the VODKA for now, that is for experienced reefers with no GHA in the tanks and that has experience in the dosing of the said VODKA. If you want an evergreen (like on golf courses) tank start dosing now.

Feed them what they can eat in like 30sec, i feed mine that way and since that i have seen a huge decrease in my green lawns, amongst other stuff i had to learn.

Get a reactor or similar with rowaphos or something good to help with the removal. Also have a look at your lighting times that can also help the lawns grow (GHA). Rather get a long term solution and find out what causes the GHA to flourish, if you nail the problem it will help a lot.

Remember just as in nature you need hermit crabs, snails and certain fish etc they call them the cleaning crew - there is a way of calculating the amount of critters per litre i cannot remember how we worked it out but if memory serves me correct in my 500lt tank it came to 30 or 40 critters to help eat the GHA or control it under normal conditions and that helped me tremendously too and they all still safe and sound.

Remember we all " and that includes me" tend to want the fast cure. It doesnt work, it is a short term solution. It is not always lekker and i nearly gave up this hobby because of GHA (green lawns) but with time, proper quality products like rowa phos and not the cheaper stuff leaching the badd stuff back after a week, and finding my mistakes and rectifying them only then after i found the long term solution i saw the lekker of this hobby. It is worthless jumping around everytime we see a piece of green growing, look why and rectify, not over night, but its a process we follow.

Enjoy :thumbup:

9. vatso

vatso Thread Starter

Thanks Max

Was never going to use the vodka stuff was more info seeking

I think a big part of my problem is over feeding if you allow for 30sec I have way more food in the tank then that - also I only have 4 hermit crabs which really does not seem nearly enough by the sounds of things.

I am really changing my idea about a sump - I can run stuff in a sump one can't run in a main tank which would help reduce the growth in the main tank.

I am starting to thing a new tank is the way to go with all the right stuff. just wanted to make this as easy as possible - but there is no way to learn how to fix a problem then have the problem

Mark

Recent Posts