Live Rock

Reaction score
hey guys
was thinking if it is possible to take about live rock out the waters along our coast and use it instead of buying live rock with gets really expensive, only on a student budget.
any laws, permits, paper work to get through?
any info would be great

Yea to all of the above, there are laws, you need paperwork etc.. generally though you have to be careful about what exactly you are taking out the water and putting in your tank. As we don't really have reefs here in SA, in some cases you are taking rock out the sea that serves very little benefit to the tank in any case, (if we were blessed to have Kenyan or Fiji LR along our shores we would not have to freight it in), most rock found along our shores offer zero buffering capacity. You must examine the rock carefully and identify what it may be.. it could be a lump of concrete that has just been encrusted..

yebo

Muz

You can use LR from the more sub tropical parts in SA like central/northern KZN, but mostly the good stuff (dead coral skeletons etc) is found quite far out to to see and in some deep water. Most of the rocks found in the intertidal zone on our coast are not very porous, like Muz said.

so the answer is no! damn because i got to buy some live rock which i need about 40kg of. any cheaper way of getting round this?

guys there is a thread as to local regulations, cant post the link right now cause i'm on my phone but collecting live rock is illegal. sorry fellas, if i'm wrong i humbly apologize but i don't believe i am. search for it and read the regulations

Don't touch our coastline's rocks, it is illegal.

Why not use 50% bio-rock, it is cheaper and can be seeded by live rock.

guys there is a thread as to local regulations, cant post the link right now cause i'm on my phone but collecting live rock is illegal. sorry fellas, if i'm wrong i humbly apologize but i don't believe i am. search for it and read the regulations

Sorry, did not know that. As far as I can remember it does not specifically mention rock, so I remember it being a grey area without set regulations, but I could be wrong, speed reading can kill.

Biorock is a good option, I think it retails for about R45/kg...

Back
Top Bottom