1. Reepher

Reepher

Hi all I would like to know how much live rock or base rock will I need to run my 5foot tank I'm also planing to use a 5foot sump any advice

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. EFJ

EFJ MASA Contributor

With media like Orca Bio Cubes, Seachem Matrix, Pure Reef Stones, Bio pellets etc. you don't need that much liverock in your system. Thus leaving you more space for your fish to swim in and for your corals to grow out. That said, if you don't want to go that route then you need to go at least 50% of your tanks water volume for it to be effective. Live rock houses small critters etc. but its main purpose is to help with bio filtration (due to its porous nature) where it houses different types of beneficial bacteria. After time though as your tank matures a lot of the holes get over grown or blocked thus reducing the rocks filtering capacity. My opinion would be to shop around for a couple of nice pieces and then to go with Orca Cubes or Matrix stones in the sump to help with filtration.

4. Reepher

Reepher Thread Starter

Ok thanks but that media u speak of do I just leave it in there or do I replace it like carbon and wat bout base rock for aqua scapping

5. EFJ

EFJ MASA Contributor

Base rock offers no real filtration benefits. It is basically there to help with scaping if you are not planning on buy too much liverock thus making up for that. Orca Bio cubes you will need to swop out basically once a year (here is a thread on MASA dedicated to Orca Bio cubes where reefers posted their personal experiences with it). Seachem Matrix stones don't need to be swapped out but does require a scrub/wash now and then (don't have personal experience with it but here is well known reefers using it as well). As for NP pellets they can be recharged by washing them in ammonia (if I remember correctly) thus not needed to replenish either. As for the other stuff they do need to be replaced when used up. To keep it simple rather just stick to Orca Cubes or Seachem Matrix stones. They have proven good results and don't need a lot of space either. Just search for them on the site or just google it, there is plenty of info on these products and they don't require a lot of work or a engineering degree to use them.

6. Reepher

Reepher Thread Starter

Ok thanks

7. EFJ

EFJ MASA Contributor

No problem bud. We are all here to help so don't be afraid to ask questions.:thumbup:

8. Reepher

Reepher Thread Starter

Will do it's my first reef tank I normally do fish not but mostly nano cubes

9. EFJ

EFJ MASA Contributor

At first it looks like a daunting task but actually it is quite simple. The thing with this hobby is try to keep it as simple as possible and not to worry about reactors and all these fancy equipment you see and read about. Once you have gotten used to how things are run then you can start looking at some of the fancy equipment etc. That way you will have a better understanding of what they are for and if it is really necessary to buy them. Personally I try to keep it simple, less to worry about and more time to admire your tank. Just for interest check @Paul B thread on his 40year old tank. He also believes on keeping it simple and has been running a looooong time with great results.

Recent Posts