Live rock

Jcc

Shrimp
Reaction score
Bought a second tank with lr and fish this weekend. The rock is a bad quality and want to run it for now with just a bit of that rock as it looks like local rock. It is very brittle but look pories.
Want to make rock for the system as it is a fowlr. How long must i cure the rock for in a seperate tank?
Going to use white cement and salt with fine crushed coral. Wil it help to cure the rock for a week with fresh water and vinigar and then go over to salt water. How long does it normally take to get the rock to be safe for a tank?

lanzo

Clarion Angel
Reaction score
ditto what mek said,
The purpose of using LR is for filtration( arobic(95%) and anarobic(5%) bacteria,worms and pods) and if you kill these life your going to cycle your tank for a long long time.

burt

Clownfish
Reaction score
rather cure it dont kill it, look there in mek thread and go to that link. you wont be sorry

burt

Clownfish
Reaction score
you live in stellenbosch, when you got time come to gordonsbay, ill show you how to cook the life rock

Jcc

Shrimp
Reaction score
Think you understood wrong. Know how to cure live rock. What i wanted to know about if there is any way of speeding up the process of curing man made cement rock as i want to run the tank on that instead of the worm rock i got with the tank. Dont look like the worm rock wil get the job done

lanzo

Clarion Angel
Reaction score
talk to brucemg, he also made cement rocks, maybe he can help you a bit

Raven

Blenny
Reaction score
Think you understood wrong. Know how to cure live rock. What i wanted to know about if there is any way of speeding up the process of curing man made cement rock as i want to run the tank on that instead of the worm rock i got with the tank. Dont look like the worm rock wil get the job done
Hi,
I've done this as well.
My advice is - be patient with this.
I've just cycled the man made rock in only fresh water. It took me about 2 months before i've added these rocks in my tank.
It also depends on the size of the rock, how porous (spelling:whistling: ) the rock is ext.

Last edited by a moderator: