Live Rock

Reaction score
I have noticed different types of live rock, named after parts of the world it originates from - Florida (Very Rare), Kenya, Fiji, Indonesia etc.

Is there South African Live Rock ?

Or is like motor cars we just couldn't be bothered and rather import from elsewhere ?

I have noticed different types of live rock, named after parts of the world it originates from - Florida (Very Rare), Kenya, Fiji, Indonesia etc.

Is there South African Live Rock ?

Or is like motor cars we just couldn't be bothered and rather import from elsewhere ?

Yip we have, just not that legal to collect and then sell (although some have tried this before)

Says who? clearly the people responsible for the coastal waters disagree.

Dude you don't know SOuth Africa, i could clear out 10 tons of LR in a couple of days and no one would stop me.

We have a country run by a dude that is involved in corrupt arms deals and thinks you can get rid of AIDS by showering after raping your hapless victim.

You think the authorities care about some "rocks" in the sea with this kind of mentality.

Dude you don't know SOuth Africa, i could clear out 10 tons of LR in a couple of days and no one would stop me.

We have a country run by a dude that is involved in corrupt arms deals and thinks you can get rid of AIDS by showering after raping your hapless victim.

You think the authorities care about some "rocks" in the sea with this kind of mentality.

If that is the case, then why has Viper posted that it is illegal, also why have the authorities in SA deemed it a good idea to ban divers in a certain area to stop the collecting of local shellfish? it would seem that the agancy responsible for the coastline does indeed care, don't forget there is international pressure for the whole world to look after local environmental issues, this includes fishing.

Wee man, I am all for conservation, but in South Africa the law makers love making laws which are totally toothless, check out the abalone (spell?) problem, make some fancy laws and still 1000's of tons a year leave our shores and then arrest one or two homeless guys and announce there "major break" through.

if I look hard enough I find someone selling SA LR, guaranteed.

PS: The rock in other countries is managed for sustainable collection.

Kenya been able to not rape this resource ?

Warr7027 said:
Quite right, just like you speed in your car every day, you take your chances, if you get caught then you pay the fine or do the time, it's a fact of life. Some people (even 1 or 2 Gauteng LFS) do indeed take local live rock from our coast line, if they get caught then they will be dealt with by the authorities.

The fact still remains that it is illegal to collect live rock from our coastlines.

Wee man, I am all for conservation, but in South Africa the law makers love making laws which are totally toothless, check out the abalone (spell?) problem, make some fancy laws and still 1000's of tons a year leave our shores and then arrest one or two homeless guys and announce there "major break" through.

if I look hard enough I find someone selling SA LR, guaranteed.

PS: The rock in other countries is managed for sustainable collection.

Kenya been able to not rape this resource ?

You asked the question "Is there South African live rock" i think you have been given the answer, i'm sure you will find some SA live rock for sale, it doesn't make it right though does it? you can put 35 yellow tangs in a nano, again it doesn't make it right.
In this hobby it is difficult enough to prove to the authorities that what we do is sustainable and hase actually made scientific advances for the conservation and captive reproduction of certain corals to actually replace the current stocks lost though illegal removal or natural storm damage.
Stupid or ignorant people taking corals/fish/liverock/whatever else from the local shores without the necessary paperwork or local knowledge or local populations, actually damages any hard work that the majority of reefers do.
Please think long and hard about any animal you take from its environment to ensure you do little or no damage to the rest of the local eco - system.
For example, remove one anemone and you imperil the clown population by removing their safe house.

You asked the question "Is there South African live rock" i think you have been given the answer, i'm sure you will find some SA live rock for sale, it doesn't make it right though does it? you can put 35 yellow tangs in a nano, again it doesn't make it right.
In this hobby it is difficult enough to prove to the authorities that what we do is sustainable and hase actually made scientific advances for the conservation and captive reproduction of certain corals to actually replace the current stocks lost though illegal removal or natural storm damage.
Stupid or ignorant people taking corals/fish/liverock/whatever else from the local shores without the necessary paperwork or local knowledge or local populations, actually damages any hard work that the majority of reefers do.
Please think long and hard about any animal you take from its environment to ensure you do little or no damage to the rest of the local eco - system.
For example, remove one anemone and you imperil the clown population by removing their safe house.

You getting me wrong, I totally agree with you. :thumbup:

I haven't raped, stolen or destroy anything from our seas unknowingly. Maybe the odd Tuna salad here and there :whistling:

But what i don't agree with is our country's total lawlessness and ineffective enforcement of human laws let alone flora and fauna.

You getting me wrong, I totally agree with you. :thumbup:

I haven't raped, stolen or destroy anything from our seas unknowingly. Maybe the odd Tuna salad here and there :whistling:

But what i don't agree with is our country's total lawlessness and ineffective enforcement of human laws let alone flora and fauna.

That is hardly the topic of this forum though, the lack of laws in other areas needs to be tackled at the ballot box etc not a fish forum.

Back
Top Bottom