Live Rock

Reaction score
Guys please help me out here.

I was planning to use Kenyan Live Rock for my new tank, but then lending my ears out i've now several times heard that Kenyan live rock isn't that great.

Now a few questions:

1) How good is Kenyan Live rock?

2) What makes good Live Rock?

3) And barring the awesome shapes what is so special about fiji rock?

Thanks crew

Robert

Hey Copper,

I always use Kenyan LR as base rock. Functionally I don't think there is anything wrong with it. I just think that Fijian/Malasian LR looks so much better.

The primary factor in deciding whether rock is good LR is porousity. The more porous, the better.

Then secondarily of course how much life does it already support. Having used Kenyan and Malasian, Kenyan had a hell of a lot more worms and pods in it than the Malasian. But the Malasian looked 100 times better.

i have also used the kenyan and been happy with it, problem is shapes, used a sythentic rock to get the shapes.

Yup,

I belive it is very similar, if not the same as Fiji LR.

Last edited by a moderator:
The pic doesn't really do it justice. It usually have a lot of nooks and crannies and caves and things.

We should not scoff at Kenyan, just causes it's cheaper than others. Guys overseas would love to get hold of some, much the same way we want Fiji or malaysian.

Diversity is good.

Lol....

Yeah, Kenyan is to my marine tanks like rice is to dinners. Nothing wrong with it, does the job very well.

see i'm at the toddler stage of marine keeping, i'm going to pull a pot of boiling water off the stove very soon LOL. Someone I really respect around marine keeping and propagation told me that kenyan rock is to dense to be really effective..

Last edited:
Copper,

Kenyan is more dense in general than Fijian/Malaysian, that is true. But still very effective. I will post pics of my LR when I buy at the end of the month. Some closups of both types.

Like I said diversity is good. I would go with Kenyan for cost considerations and seed this with a couple of pieces of any other type of rock you can get.

i got some awsome kenyan but it is very defnatly much denser than the malay . i just got some awsome malay rock its very light and lots of coral lfe on it

I reckon Kenyan live rock is like one step better than just putting bricks or something in your tank. It weights a lot, the shapes are pretty damn boring and every time I've seen it it's looked very bare and all that sandy colour. I agree that it does have a lot more worms and stuff in though, but this is probably because it has to travel less distance to us. I don't think the shapes of kenyan are that great for flow, fiji/malaysian rocks tend to have a lot more "holes" through them etc.

I would rather put in 15 kilos of really nice rock than 50 kilos of kenyan.

I agree Rory. The LFS in Durban has Kenyan. I think is it boring. It is generally round but it is also very dead. A got a few pieces and found a lot of aiptaisa on it :(

Kenya live rock

Yup,

I belive it is very similar, if not the same as Fiji LR.
I had doubts about Kenya rock as I have seen what looks like limestone with a few leaves of seaweed on it. If that rock I see here is Kenya live rock then I would use it anytime!

Last edited by a moderator:
guys the idea on the kenya is that it evolves with time... i have seen awsome corraline growth on kenyan but agree that its important to mix with fiji to get a wider diversity of gogga's..... as for look fiji hands down but does kenyan not have a better nitrate reduction property being slightly denser with smaller pores?

basically i like the coral head style of rocks.made of dead coral skeleton.the shapes make it nice and easy to place corals on aswell

basically i like the coral head style of rocks.made of dead coral skeleton.the shapes make it nice and easy to place corals on aswell

agreed but are they not just doing the same function as any other basic biological filtration and excluding the denitrification part due to them being less dense?

I had doubts about Kenya rock as I have seen what looks like limestone with a few leaves of seaweed on it. If that rock I see here is Kenya live rock then I would use it anytime!

Rod, no, that is Malaysian.

Back
Top Bottom