live rock

Reaction score
Hello everyone im looking forward to share my questions with you guys its nice to know theres someone that can give you advice when you need it. I just want to know how long for my new aquarium to stand before i can put in some live rock? Thanx Johnken

We asked that question a few months ago, the answer was something like this, after the water is salted, you can add the live rock, it does not have to stand or anything, my tank has already started showing signs of life, 2 months later and i have 1 lil tiny snail and one tiny lil , i duno, flat shell thingy... so must have been ok... thats what we did, as soon as the salt was mixed we added the live rock, but added over like 2 weeks cause we wanted to buy our live rock from various stores...

Welcome to MASA, glad you joined us. You should get some of your answers in the link below - starting a marine tank. After you filled the tank with reverse osmosis water, bring to temp, add salt and let circulate for 48hrs. Add the live rock.
I hope you did not use tap water?

Hi and welcome to MASA

Welcome to MASA !

oh no what now?

unfortunately i did use tab water i asked the local petshop and they told me its fine??:(

john to be honest the best thing to do is drain, get a RO unit and start again. The tap water contains a number ofd very undesirable aspects to it and that leads to strong algae growth. You may be lucky in that the amount of nutrient that can feed the algae will be used byb the algae very fast and not cause too bad a problem,

but as a betting man i'd laydown some heavey bets of nutrient leaxching into the LR which wil,l slowly be released as the algae grows, sustaining a prolonged period of intensely ugly algae and extreeme frustrations for you.

tap water is not of good enough quality to use with marine tanks unfotuantly :(

perhaps you could get a tds meter (measures the total disolved solids) in water and see what the reading is. anything above 15 and i wouldnt use it, if its at that range id be inclined to save the salt and expect some algae growth.

I would definately drain it and start over. A good lfs could sell you a mix or just r/o for you to mix yourself. Definately can't see the tds being low enough.

I agree, tap water is very bad for marines as it contains a lot of impurities and chemicals and WILL cause nuisance algae.
That same petshop will probably tell you - don't worry, it will be fine, just use this anti-chlorine and "cycle" and you can add a damsel to help cycle the tank, etc, etc and bla bla bla...

Please ask us here before buying anything from this guy - our advice is free and we don't gain anything financial from it. Unfortunately you got the wrong advice and now need to start over to make the best of it :(

all the other pet shops iv been to the guys told me they use tap water! If u dont have a RO filter can u use 1 of those lil single filters for tap water? The lil 1s that sit next to ur tap and filters your drinking water? Then could you mix some tetra aqua safe into that water? Surely it must be better than normal tap water? lol I hope!!

no its not carbon, inside it has a big cotton looking filter.. maybe thats even worse.. maybe it doesnt even do anything :whistling:

I tested the tds of the water from my water filter. Water goes through filter type paper, sponge like material as well as carbon and it's still 25.

all the other pet shops iv been to the guys told me they use tap water! If u dont have a RO filter can u use 1 of those lil single filters for tap water? The lil 1s that sit next to ur tap and filters your drinking water? Then could you mix some tetra aqua safe into that water? Surely it must be better than normal tap water? lol I hope!!
no, thats no where near good enough. RO really is the only way of knowing that you arent adding anything detrimental to the water top up or water changes.

i promise you, if tap water where good enough with a few fizzy powders thrown in, we wouldnt be buying RO units.

but its not good enough...

so we use RO, simple really :)

True, you have a point... now Im just gonna trick my dad into getting a RO filter;)

Back
Top Bottom