Live Rock - What's The Deal?

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by tinusb, 20 Jun 2008.

1. tinusb

tinusb

Hey all,

I've read several places that you should have 'x' amount of live rock... I'm just wondering now - what if you don't have the budget? I mean we didn't have the budget, so we couldn't afford a couple of kg's for the tank... So in theory a 300 liter tank should have about 40kg of LR - and @ R200 a kg locally, that translates to about R8000!

However, we managed to overcome the obstacle --- got some LR from a friend [for free!] ---- 3 pieces to be exact --- and added a lot of dead rock to the tank. Now about 5 months down the line, there are a lot of coralline algae everywhere in the tank, with bristle-worms and all other sorts of critters in the dead rock, ie. live rock now ;)

So yes, I do agree that this is necessary, but doesn't mean that you have to go buy all the LR ... and yes, being patient is the key - living in the boendoes doesn't help either!!!!! Just my 2c.

Comments?

T :yeahdude::yeahdude:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Tinus - here's my thoughts - everyone probably knows my feeling about this topic already. Midasblenny feels differently - all respects to him and what he believes in...

Everything is about balance in the tank. If you don't overload the biological balance, then you do NOT need so much live rock. Your live rock is awesome. Has the absolute best chances to becoming even better filters than actual live rock...

So - in theory - you already have a LOT of LIVE rock!

I don't like live rock that much any more. Because I very strongly believe that my live rock in my caused my nuisance algae outbreaks.....

So - I do not LIKE so much live rock in my tank anymore.

Look at what Kanga HAD - his tank consisted of 80% bio-rock, and 20% life rock... And he HAD an awesome tank... Sorry about your loss Kanga!

And so do many others.....

4. tinusb

tinusb Thread Starter

Hey Jacques!

Thanx for the reply ;) Everything boils basically down to balance... AND TIME. I understand that not everybody can wait xxx months for the system to 'mature', but I'm just trying to say that there are alternate ways too :)

T :)

5. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Good live rock is essential to a successful system, i am willing to pay top dollar for the best, in this way i will enjoy my tank, Jacques has had a torrid time with his, but that doesn't mean live rock is bad, it means you get the best (fiji in my opinion) your tank will then have the best chance of survival, owing to the good bacteria within the LR.

6. jacquesb

Wee-Man - I respect how you, and many other feel about this. It is just that in SA live rock (DECENT LIVE ROCK) is EXTREMELY expensive. I would say sometimes prohibitively so.... So - thats where the alternative way doing things come from.....

7. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Hey JB, i've seen how bad liverock has given you a really bad time, we can only help by imparting our personal experiences/opinions, good live rock is prohibitively expensive, but i do think it is worth the sacrifice.:)

8. jacquesb

Cool! No problems Wee-Man!

9. sihaya

sihaya

I personally think people tend to buy/use way more live rock than they need. I'd start with the bare minimum you think you'll need to give your fish enough hiding places and to mount your coral and just go from there... if you need more, you can always add it later (just my thoughts).

10. Warr7207

Warr7207

3 of the best systems I have seen locally, run only LR for filtration and no DSB. These systems have shit loads of LR.

So there must be something to this LR idea ;)

11. sihaya

sihaya

Oh, totally, I agree... lots of liverock is great if you put most of it in the sump (or in a remote refugium or something). But when you load it up in the display tank, it inhibits water flow so much that it's just not worth it (imo).

12. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

wee-man... we now get Bio-rock thats been in the ocean for a year that comes in from Bali... you must see this stuff its awsum! full of corals... my biz partner bought a piece and 3 weeks laters its got zenia, zoas, shrooms etc growing on it... a good buy at R120 a kg

13. sihaya

sihaya

Yeah, yeah... he's happy about that now... see how he feels about those hitchhikers in a year or so... lol

14. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

none of that is bad Sarah.... its all good hitch hikers.... Its awsum awsum awsum rock :D i added some to my nano today :p

15. sihaya

sihaya

I'm sure it's great rock if it has all that coral on it. I'm just saying that if I knew then what I know now... I would have never put mushrooms in my tank. People with stony tanks know what I'm talking about... they kill everything and grow like mint leaves.

16. tinusb

tinusb Thread Starter

What's wrong with mushrooms? :)

17. Warr7207

Warr7207

They grow like weed and not easy to remove other than the entire piece of rock.

18. tinusb

tinusb Thread Starter

ahhhh oh! Didn't know that.

19. Warr7207

Warr7207

But in saying that they are pretty especially the blue and purple species.

Also be careful them getting to close to other corals. My leather sulks big time when the mushrooms start growing too close. Chemical warfare

20. sihaya

sihaya

Ditto! And some grow to size of dinner plates! Which wouldn't be all that bad if they weren't so fiercy aggressive! They will kill everything they touch that's not at least equally aggressive. And trying to kill them only pisses them off and makes then grow/split even faster (apparently!)

21. tinusb

tinusb Thread Starter

ouch! And there I always thought they were so puuuurty and innocent.

Recent Posts