Urgent help needed live rock was not in water

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by Barlan, 30 May 2012.

1. Barlan

Barlan

hi all

i need some advice on something i did and have found conflicting info on the net, so i figured let me ask the pro's.

i'm still very new to the hobby and despite my problems in my current nano, i'm persevering!

so here's the situation.

i bought a red sea max 130d over the weekend, some "caribsea-aragonite-seaflor-special-grade-reef-sand" a 40lb bag, 5kgs of cured live rock from the lfs.

now we hadnt exactly planned this purchase, so it was a bit of trial and error before we watched the start up dvd that RSM provides and realised our faults.

we put the sand unwashed into the tank, then about 20 liters of salt water. it wasn't cloudy, it was beyond cloudy!!! looked like horlicks! left it for a day cause making rodi water takes time. the live rock was placed in a bucket with salt water for the day, without circulation.

after watching the dvd, we removed the sand and water and rinsed the sand till the water it was clearish and put a water pump/ power head into the bucket with the live rock for circulation and put the lid on. its been in the bucket since monday (today wed) and the rinsed/damp sand is in another bucket cause we havent filled the tank yet, let alone put the salt in. we're following the dvd's instructions.

so my question is this, is my live rock ok? not dying or dead? what should i do before i put it in the tank?

is my sand still ok? i read that this isnt live sand, so it can be rinsed over and over, even tho the description on many sites say "little or no rinsing".

thanks in advance.

all i can say is we live and learn :)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. regis

regis

was there a heater with the live rock?

4. JS

JS

It will all be fine - as the tank cycles etc new bacteria will grow.....dont stress! :)

5. shaunn

shaunn

heater in the bucket ?

Last edited: 30 May 2012
  6. shaunn

shaunn

as far as i know as long as u keep the rock damp it should be fine u will always get die off

7. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn

yes , aragonite is best when rised perfectly till water remains clear, it will only become live sand after its seeded in the tank so for now it doesnt even need to be in water

liverock should be fine but water shud be heated to 25-27 deg celcius and a circulation pump..however, you will only know hw the rock is fairing once you do water tests to see ur levels,but dnt stress just yet,once ur sand and rock is in tank,you will start your cycle process and by adding a bateria source you will help the cycle along and only then you start testing your parameters to monitor your cycle

good luck

Last edited by a moderator: 30 May 2012
  8. Barlan

Barlan Thread Starter

hi all

thanks for the replies

no, i dont have a heater in the bucket. i can put one in, altho my water should be ready later tonight. the tank needs one more 25l bucket before we can add salt and start the circulation. once the salt is dissolved we can add substrate and LR.

i need to watch that dvd again, lol.

thanks again everyone.
    much appreciated.

9. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

i would say that larger "coral/gogo" life forms on the LR may have been compromised but i sincrerly doubt you will eradicate all bacteria which in turn will repopulate the rock as it consumes any die back..

LR is pretty resiliant stuff.. all it takes is another piece of even less than 1kg to assist in repopulating the existing stuff..

the more you add the quicker the repopulation occurs within reason, as dieback is also a factor..

a good bacterial booster will assist aswell..

the sand can easily be seeded by obtaining a handful of livesand from a fellow reefer...

Recent Posts