Live rock- surprise passenger

Reaction score
Hi All,

So my tank is now fully operational. Got some LR from Lanzo yesterday and it looks amazing... Yes yes I know Pics.. Friday I promise.. Anyway From my very novice and amateur opinion I think the rock is superb- Thanks Lanzo..

When I got home last night I looked into the tank and noticed some movement which I could not believe- but sure enough there was a little crab- he was super skittish and difficult to get a real look at let alone a pic. he was real small - like 10c peice - white with what looked like red stripes.

Im not sure if I should be ecstatic or not, My wife did't really understand my excitement till she saw it which had her captivated too-YES, YES YES.- (Had doubts bout putting this up in case Lanzo charges me more for the rock..;))

Nontheless i have this little bugger- he is alive and kicking but dont know if he is a pestr to be rid of? If not do I have to feed him? How? Do I have to try catch him? Its a new tank starting to cycle so dont want the little dude to peg?

Is this usual? Should I be worried?

Sorry Im not really sure of this all - hence a beginner I guess..
All answers would be most appreciated..
Mike

Hey Mike,

Good to hear you are up and running.

Crabs are dubious creatures insofar our reef tanks are concerned. Some are perfectly harmless, while others will eventually become a nuisance by snacking on unsuspecting small/sleepy livestock.

Try and get a photo so we can help you ID the little guy.
Better yet , try to catch him and put him in a container. Then we can help you ID the little guy and then decide whether he goes back in the tank or give him to other reefers that have a sump.

Insofar feeding is concerned: I wouldn't worry about it . Crabs are scavengers and will eat pretty much anything on the LR and substrate.

post a pic, and worst case he will live in your sump/dsb, i have about 4 there already :)

Ok will try get a pic he's super ellusive.... I know he's probably a pest but Still super excited to see some life happening.. Dallas - sorry to be naive but I have the nano 550 Boyu- so not sure he would be too happy in the sump- maybe best to donate him to someone-
Away to Zambia till friday morning- will renew efforts then to catch the bugger.. was kind of hoping he was a harmless dude.

A shot in the dark , But Lanzo presumably should know his ID, as maybe seen him before? Ill ask him
Thanks for the help

Mike

there are plenty types of crabs on LR, but should u want to get rid of him, keep me in mind :)

Ok will try get a pic he's super ellusive.... I know he's probably a pest but Still super excited to see some life happening.. Dallas - sorry to be naive but I have the nano 550 Boyu- so not sure he would be too happy in the sump- maybe best to donate him to someone-
Away to Zambia till friday morning- will renew efforts then to catch the bugger.. was kind of hoping he was a harmless dude.

A shot in the dark , But Lanzo presumably should know his ID, as maybe seen him before? Ill ask him
Thanks for the help

Mike

Mike , don't stress too much about the crab. He may indeed be quite harmless.

In any event it is indeed great to see new life just "popping" up :thumbup:

BTW: Whereabouts in Zambia are you travelling to ?

most prob just a small Porcelain Crab

Doing a round trip, going to Lusaka for today and Livingstone tommorrow. Work in the Hotels and Development Sector (Legacy Hotels) and we busy building a development in Lusaka and a new Hotel in Livingstone at the falls. always changing exciting work..

And Apollo, actually been thinking that , we have 2 hotels at the V& A in Cape Towm. Portswood and Commodore. Thought we should arrange a "convention weekend" there for all the fishkeeprs in the country.. Next door to the 2 oceans aquarium, amazing sceneray, could have a tour and behind scenes look at the aquarium followed by guest speakers etc.. Probably a throw away idea, but could be great

And Apollo, actually been thinking that , we have 2 hotels at the V& A in Cape Towm. Portswood and Commodore. Thought we should arrange a "convention weekend" there for all the fishkeeprs in the country.. Next door to the 2 oceans aquarium, amazing sceneray, could have a tour and behind scenes look at the aquarium followed by guest speakers etc.. Probably a throw away idea, but could be great

Mike, that sounds like a really good idea.

I asked the same question some time ago regarding an annual or bi-annual event for all MASA members and of course sponsors.
Would be a great way to network and share knowledge.

Let's keep this idea of yours in mind .;)

it aint a mantis... will try get a pic when im back..

Apollo, If you/anyone else is keen to pursue a weekend convention etc. I can definalty arrange, accomodation, conference facilities etc at a very preferential rate.( by far cheaper than anywhere else) Hell thinking about it I could probably arrange weekend stay at one of our properties as a prize raffle give away?

If anyone keen to pursue , let me know.

I have no marine tank experience but am happy to contribute my way into the community

sounds good, i am in :)

and they keep the dsb clean, but i do move them around to keep them happy and a nice food supply

Hi MikeR. Glad to hear some exitement (from the wife especially!!!) I had four crabs in my tank about a month ago. I lost two hermit crabs under the claws of these crabs. The ones I had though is called "something hairy crabs" or some sort... Anyway, pics would be best, let the experts ID it. I caught my last crab last nigh, and put it in my sump.

Yeah me too...The sin bin is where they end up.Good thing to have;)

So do you guys suggest to keep him in my DSB? Wont it kill off the other life there?
Not sure whether I should dispose of it or keep it? It did kill my hermit...:(

AWESOME idea Mike! If you can arrange the venue - I am MORE than sure we can get enough reefers to visit!
Like a mini-IMACSA ;)

If it is convenient for Hennie, we can ask him to speak - as well as Irie Ivan (he knows his sh*t w.r.t SPS - or perhaps even ask Millepora if can visit at the time - or SunBurst - to talk about SPS!
Some other guru's can perhaps talk about other topics....

Let's start a poll - and get this ball ROLLING! :thumbup:

BTW: Portswood is RIGHT next to one of my clients - Allan Gray... anyone know them ;)

Back
Top Bottom