live rock,made pretty at home.

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by pkc, 3 Aug 2013.

1. pkc

pkc

This is how I used to put my corals onto the aquarium walls in the eighties, I am back at it again.
    This is the second lot for this aquarium.

First up I have my dead rock that I have trimmed the back off to a smooth surface to sit against the glass wall of my aquarium and there are cuts for the glue made with an angle grinder with a diamond blade.

Then it was put in hot water with chlorine for two days and it is very dead.
    The dead rock from there has been sitting on top of my media in the “wet section only” as my bio filter which runs my tubs waters.

This was for two months to get rid of all dead life and the chlorine on and in it as well.

This is it in the bowl and there are some tools,glue,tissue and rags all ready to make a piece of wonderful live rock, which at this stage has only bacteria and protists on board from my other bio system.
    [​IMG]
    The hole drilled for hooking on glass hook glued to rear of aquarium is ready.
    [​IMG]
    Now I drill holes and cut ridges to make sure the glue stays attached as this dead rock is still wet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    All coral pieces are sat on wet tissue paper ready to have cuts put in the rear of them so the glue attaches them to the dead coral really well.
    [​IMG]
    All corals are glued on and have wet tissue paper on them to keep them cool and wet while the epoxy resin glue cures.
    [​IMG]
    I pore cool salt water, that I put in the fridge, from the tubs over them once each hour to keep the corals closed, dormant and healthy also keeping the dead rocks microbes and protists alive while the glue sets properly.
    [​IMG]
    Glue has set and the piece of dead rock is ready to be sat over the glass hook I glued onto the back of the aquarium some days ago.
    [​IMG]
    This is the same piece of dead rock four month's later.
    [​IMG]

Lord_Blackadder likes this.
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. EFJ

EFJ MASA Contributor

Looks great. Very good idea, might try it my self.

4. pkc

pkc Thread Starter

It is good for saving space especially and keeping rock off the floor.

5. CyberSlakkie

CyberSlakkie

Thanks @pkc nice idea!

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. shan

shan

Nice one

7. Tiger eye

Tiger eye

Very interesting. What does the glass hook look like?

8. pkc

pkc Thread Starter

9. Tiger eye

Tiger eye

Nice!!! This is a great idea.

10. pkc

pkc Thread Starter

I originally thought of it back when we use to go for goni and I wanted to try some of the black goni with a gold centre that we found up north.
    This coral was amazingly pretty and I had no room in my tank for it.
    There was so much live rock and corals put in for trying out the new Phillips 03 actinic tubes and the English triton tubes, they were the latest things at the time along with venturi skimmers and my first use of aluminium based phosphate sponge in the late 70s early 80s.
    I needed space to try this coral out as well and that’s when I came up with attaching them to the back of the tank.
    I drilled the rear of the goni and after a couple of weeks they had stuck as well and grew onto the tank and doubled in size in 3 months.
    Just a few years later a summer killed my aquarium and that was the last time i did corals for nearly ten years, till I bought an old up right freezer and turned it into a chiller,that was a lot of work making all the insides and setting in power heads to run the water through it, but it paid off.
    I bought a manual dial thermostat controller and connected it,got a glass test tube to seal up with the sensor in it with freshwater inside it to stop corrosion, sat it in my tank water and started with corals again.
    I bought my first actual chiller in 2001,it was the cheapest at the time and it still goes great to this day as I take it a part after each season and completely over haul it and put it away ready for next season

Recent Posts