Live rock issues

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Tim S, 10 Aug 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S

Hi all, my tank is complete and on the stand. Plumbing and electrics to be done in the week or so. I am looking at the next steps and would like to know how much live rock is needed for my tank (600 l plus 250 l sump)? Does anyone in the CT area collet water from the ocean, and if so where is a good spot where the water wont be filled with contaminents?

Later....

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tony

Tony

Not sure on the collection sites as I'm from that horrible place called Jo'burg. You could go with about 70kg of regular live rock. You do get that Fijian stuff that is much lighter but more expensive. Alternatively you could go with a good base rock and have some live rock to seed it. After a few months you wont even know the diffrerence and it will work out much cheaper

4. Tim S

Tim S Thread Starter

Ummm... "base rock" is this any old good looking feature filled rock/sandstone, if not could you elaborate what base rock is please

thanks

5. Tony

Tony

A lot of pet stores will sell a product called base rock. I'm not sure what its made of but it looks like live rock with all sorts of nice shapes but is white. It's a heck of a lot cheaper than rock and some guys put this at the bottom of their display and cover it with live rock

6. Giepie

Giepie

7. Giepie

Giepie

If I may add to this...

I know of a LFS who recently started with marines again and used base rock in one of his tanks to kick-start a LR hatchery... 4 months down the line and I have to admit - I couldnt see the difference between true LR and the base rock...

8. Tim S

Tim S Thread Starter

Thanks for the comments chaps. Regarding the Two Oceans water, I read another thread (can't remember who/where) about the Two Oceans water and that they stopped using it and shortly after the display was looking visibly better. It sounded like this was not the best water to use and hence my original question. I'll try find it again.

Cheers,

9. Pete

Pete

Tim S as mentioned you will have to find a beach that is not that busy and then you will have to go about a meter or two deep to get water as you cannot just collect of the beach as all the gaggas is there

Recent Posts