Live Rock in Transit?

Reaction score
Hi, got some rock from Gix and as my luck always goes the flight has been delayed and will only come in at 1am instead of 6pm. Question is how much live on the live rock will still be alive at 1am and would it make much diffs if I collect in the morning. I really do not feel like driving 80km to collect but then again if it's gonna all die I will have to...

What you think?

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Life on the rocks are stronger than you think. Remember - live rock coming from the phillipines or even kenya - has been in the SAME packaging for more than 2 days.... therefor the "curing" process..... Sea life is far stronger than we give them credit for. A few hours out of water is NOT going to cause major die-off..... Yes, I agree - rinse the rocks off with some sea-water.... then place in your sump for 30 minutes - if no nitrate / ammonia spikes - you can place them in your main display....

IF you want to be EXTRA carefull.... then yes - place them in a container for curing for a few days.... but I really don't think it would be necessary.... unless you want to "cook" the rocks to remove detritus..

Reaction score
Sims, yip I agree with Jacque. If it came out of his tank today and is in a polystyrene box then it will be fine until tomorrow.
You might have a minimal amount of die off if any.

Alan

Admin
Reaction score
Agreed, i wouldn't worry too much, its not that long for live rock, if its still damp.

Reaction score
Sims just think of it as a extended high tide, and i am sure it will be fine.
Alo of the live rock we get can spend up to 5 days in transit, and still comes live.